Shetlands……

prettybluepony

May 17, 2005
Gloucestershire
Right so I've got a fair bit of money up, and hopefully now I can afford to buy and pay for a lovley little shetland colt I have my eye on, and having to work out the cost of everything, and get a lot of info on prices and details. :D

I wondering if anyone has good info on a diet for a young shetland potential stud colt? I have experiance feeding big and small(not shetlands though) but very little experiance with breeding stock! Help please! ;)

……I think this is the right place for this :p……

Fibre and plenty of it. Good quality hay, Alfalfa chaff, and keep mis and nuts to a small part of his diet.

I am feeding 9 of the blighters ATM. A bag of beet pellets, a bag of Alfalfa Hi Fi, and a bag of cool mix lasts me about a month feeding 9 of them every day.

What is his breeding? What colour? come on spill the beans!

Hehehehe, as you know I have been looking at shetlands for a while, and I sort of stumbled across him! He is in berkshire though so… meh!

Chestnut colt Gamno Bumble Bee Born 12.4.06 to mature 39/40”
Tweedside Spotlight xXx Gamon Beatrice Ruth

I'm not very experianced with shetland breeding, but he looks very correct, and has been shown with & without his dam, very nice looking! :D So happy now I need to go do some barginning! lol.

In summer you'll find the LAST thing he needs is food! restricted grazing is generally the way forward.

Here's the only picture available! :)

1.jpg

He looks nice but its not the best pic to judge conformation. I don't know his particular lines at all from the sire/dam names however that doesn't mean much as I only know the really big classic studs that have been going for years. Din't you give more detail on his breeding earlier and have deleted it or am I going mad :confused: :D

Oh, they were some other studs stud potential colts, but they weren't really the size range I'm looking at! I'll post grand dam & sire now! :)

mgs. Dewland Verdi 004137
mgd. Huntsmuir Harriet M96-108 AC0800
mggs. Glester of Musselbrough 003224

The site rarely has good photos, it's an auction ring site, :) I haven't found "good" standard colts just "for sale" so I tried at auction sites and found a few good 'uns. I'm looking for that special little boy lol, and need to find a nice livery place now! >.< (Not keeping pony at expensive hunting yard where I help! ;))

I would suggest in your search targetting specific studs with a type you like the look of and then asking for info on their available youngstock - might not be as cheap as buying this way but if you are looking for a breeding prospect it might be a safer bet. As Frances says the shetland pony web people will be able to comment far better on blood lines etc

As he is a good doer, you need to feed a specially designed stud balancer, such as Dodson and Horrell Suregrow or Blue Chip Original, fed alongside ad-lib qualityu forage(preferably hay, soaked or steamed to reduce its nutritional value further).
this diet will procide your youngster with a balanced supply of vitamins and minerals, plus all the protein and calcium he needs for correct and healthy growth without the extra energy needed for many thoroughbred youngsters, for example.

Shetlands are designed to live in harsh conditions, living on a sparse food supply. give him good grazing, additional forage and hard feed and you will have an overweight youngster, and no matter what people say youngsters can and do get laminitis; so be careful - if in any doubt at all, contatc a qualified nutritist from a company sucha s Baileys or Spillers.

good luck with him, he sounds lovely and gorgy porgy!
:)

newrider.com