Should I teach her to drive ??

Queenie

May 29, 2000
Holland
Visit site
My 3 yr old mare has been recently backed. I don't really want to continue riding as she's 3 and 3 months. She's been turned away for the last month and looked very bored.

I've started with loose schooling and long reining again this week to give her something to do. She loves long reining, I am considering starting her to drive and have all equipment, help on offer (for a change!!).

Do you think that it will do her any harm to teach her to drive and will it effect her when I start again under saddle ?? I'd love to teach her and wouldn't put undue pressure on her, but will I be confusing her ??

Any advise most welcome !! :)

We have taught lots of nags to ride and drive at the same time. I have never found it confuses them. Take things slowly though, she's still a baby and may not be fully mentally mature to take on board all that you ask her. Always be prepared to back off. Have fun, get help on the bits when you first pull something and ALWAYS use quick release knots where you attatch tyres or similar for her to pull. Have fun.

newrider.com