Should side saddle die?

I don't care if it is anti feminist or whatever, I am going to do my best to be still riding side saddle when I'm 90 the same as the person who taught me. It was my great honour to be taught by Mrs Betty Skelton who was for many years(possibly decades!) the chairperson( being pc now) of Side Saddle Assoc. She was in her late 80s when she taught me and a friend to ride sidesaddle. The friend had had hip problems and could no longer ride astride. We both enjoyed long hacks with Mrs S telling us the history of the sport.
I cannot describe how wonderfully tall and elegant you feel sat side saddle in full riding habit, even if like me you are only 5'5.
Long live side saddle!!!

I've seen formal show classes and was in complete awe of the beauty of the horses, riders and grace. Someday, somewhere I'll try it too, but NOT over any jumps, gulp.

I'll gallop and canter and muck about with the best of them side saddle, but I don't jump astride if I can help it! Jumping side saddle as long as you have a fluent horse isn't that bad.....mind you havn't done it for years! :eek:

'Feminism is the radical idea that women are people' I have a badge that says that! So surely a person should have a choice? Although sidesaddle was once 'compulsory' for a lady, now it's a free choice. I'd say that we should worry about the symbolism of riding sidesaddle after we've ironed out all the other problems affecting women around the world today! :eek:

As to things that oppress me, I think that waiting around for exam results is a major source of oppression for me and that we should definately campaign to get it banned ;)

Wally said:
There you go, we can all nail our colours to that banner, march on London and demand cheaper side saddles for all!

Great idea :)

I don't have a clue where my original reply went to ... it was there this morning :mad: Oh well, I was just blahing on about choice and side saddle enabling women to ride and so was not oppressive but progressive and how I'd had a couple of lessons and loved it and how I would love to do more of it and get a saddle for myself and get my girl to take a side saddle eventually.

I realise that it's probably just one or two 'wimmin' who feel like this but I'm sick of the PC crap that goes on these days, the basis of it (PC) is sound and good but too many people just take it too far. If anything stuff like this just makes me want to do something more (even if I didn't want to do it to begin with) just to hack them off :D

SIDE SADDLES FOR ALL
d045.gif

Bay Mare said:
I realise that it's probably just one or two 'wimmin' who feel like this but I'm sick of the PC crap that goes on these days, the basis of it (PC) is sound and good but too many people just take it too far
a few years ago i saw PC being taken way to far, some one was going on about how children should be banned from makeing snow men, because apparently snowmen are racist and sexist! her argument was that you never see brown snow men (well duh, snow happens to be white and im not going anywhere near the brown stuff!) and apparently snow women are never seen either! i dont know about anyone else but i certainly dont give my snow men any parts to suggest thier gender anyway!!
i think PC has a good basis but it has been taken to far on many occasions, just with femminism, it has a wonderful basis and history, but some people do take it too far!

newrider.com