Sore Eye

Lisa Dyson

Sep 19, 2001
Birmingham
Visit site
Has anybody any idea what could be wrong with my horses eye? I brought Jasper in from the field last night and I noticed that he was trying it scratch his eye. I've checked to see if there is anything in it and there is no nasty discharge. The eye is perfectly clear (not clouded) and apart from it watering his eyelid is a little swollen. I've checked it again this morning and its still the same. Apart from calling the vet out, I'm not sure what else to do, has anybody got any ideas, or has this happened to your horse??

Any advice would really be appreciated.

Ta, Lisa.

:eek:

With the mild weather we've had up till now - flies have been causing a problem - but this usually shows up as a discharge.

Carrie's had a couple of eye infections recently with yellowish discharge, bloodshot white to the eye, and swollen eye lids. It's cleared up following treatment with antibiotic ointment.

Ring your vet - they're usually happy to give advice over the phone and if they see fit presribe antibiotic ointment that you can pick up rather than pay for a call out.

A friend gets Broline from the pharmacist if she's sure there's nothing in the eye and it's only a minor infection.

Maria

my horse came in with a very swollen eye and it was discharging!!! a few weeks ago i could find nothing wrong, so i bathed it in cold tea, this soothes it and gets rid of anything in there, and i put a fly mask on in case it was flies!!!
a few days later it had calmed down but i carried on for a few more days and i had no probs!!! try using some tea otherwise i would call the vet. it sounds like an irritation because he is rubbing his eyes!!!

He could have just scratched it on something or it could just be a reaction to the strong cold winds that we've been having recently. Try bathing it with cold tea or salt water. If it doesn't clear up in a couple of days, give the vet a ring.

Funny, that. Frank's had the same problem - eyes a bit weepy for a while, then turning to yellowish discharge - for the first time in the eleven years I've had him. My vet had a look and said it's just a bit of conjunctivitis, and it's clearing nicely with some ointment, but it wasn't going to go away by itself. The vet also recommended cold black tea while I was waiting for him to come out; a mild saline solution works well on human eyes - I've tried it myself in the past and it's very soothing.

Thanks for all your advice.

I tried a little bit of Broline and it seems to have done the trick. The swelling has gone down and there is no discharge, and it doesn't seem to be irritating him anymore.

Cheers,

Lisa.
:)

Because of the long mild autumn there have been a lot of fly-related eye infections running rife through yards. My vet prescribed antibiotics suggested a good quality, well-fitting mask rather than a call out!

I had to deal with a bad case of conjunctivitis with Bebe this past summer and after having two lots of antibiotic eye cream that barely touched it (and had vet to look at it) I used Apis Mel tablets on a friends recommendation. They're homeopathic so have no side affects. I gave 6 tablets twice a day for 4 days and it cleared right up. I also used a flymask which helped a lot.

Amanda

newrider.com