'Spray Gold' Deet Repellent

toohorsemad

Victor's Mummy
Oct 1, 2004
Ireland
I was wondering if anyone who has very sweet itch prone horses has used 'Spray Gold' Deet! I seen it on the sweet itch website and I was wondering how much it was and if it was as good as it sounds! I am really sick of investing in loads of sweet itch products and not getting any results so I really would appreciate it if you tell me if its any good! Thanks

I tried an Irish brand called Itchguard forgot it exact name.
It a natural product got it in Vet shop.
Seem to work for me last summer. Her top part of tail grew back and she enjoy the massage. So must be working somehow. I wouldnt say I was 100% satifised.

This year Im goint to try Neem Oil, I hope this will prevent Sweet Itch from happening cos it suppose to deter the flies.
You can search the Web, Neem Oil for Horses.
Just got mine today as in a bottle for people it can also be used on animals.
The local health shop didnt have the Equine Neem Oil products but said the bottle does the same thing just different packaging.
Will try this weekend just to be prepare, see if other flies keep away so I know that it would on the midges.
When do the midges come out.
I remeber noticing the signs in late April so that why Im preparing to start prevention treatment this month.

Last edited:
Be very, very careful with deet! It is death ro plastic - I got some on a camera once and the ensuing marks in the plastic look like scrapes...

Quite a lot of peopl are allergic to the stuff, so I'd be carfeul about the horse too - if you do decide to use it, try a very small amount on him first.

I can vouch for it keeping everything and everybody away - the smell is disgusting!

Ross

I don't know if Deet is the same stuff there as it is here over this side, but what is sold as Deet here is a strong bug repellent that has the nasty side effect of being absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream. It is very effective against all kinds of insects, but toxic in large doses. Not recommended for use on children or anyone with health issues. I doubt I would use it on an animal.

But it may be a different chemical we are talking about...:confused:

No its a strong fly spray... It was recomended on the sweet itch site so I though I'd check what its like with you guys first and I'm gald I did!

One idea on using deet safely, however, is to spray it on a fly sheet/mask/boots,etc (before you put it on the horse, and let it dry first) instead of the horse. Also wiping a bit on the mane, forlock, and tail hairs where they do not contact the skin. This would increase your fly protection, but not cause any contact problems with the horse. Be sure you wear rubber gloves and wash your hands after using if you go this route!

We use it on ourselves when the mosquitoes are bad, but we spray it on hats, pants, long-sleeve shirts, etc., never on skin. It really works fantastic at repelling bugs, and is a life-saver in tick country. So, the good with the bad...:rolleyes:

Have you tried the Indian herbs supplement for sweet itch? We used it on one of ours with great success. Can't remember name at mo but you fed it and the smell that came out of the horses pores deterred the mossies. We used a rug too. Just a thought.

newrider.com