Stamping! - updated

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I noticed Sid stamping his right hind in the field the other day. Today I got him in to oil his feathers and when I did that foot he lifted it high, curled it up, and stamped down hard several times. Really hard.

I've checked as well as I can (very thick feathers) and can't find any scabs, so I fear it might be mites. I could call the vet right away or try some powder or similar patent nostrum first.

What do you think? He's not doing it all the time, and it's just the one foot, but I'm concerned.

Frontline for big dogs (the size pack). One pipette into the feather at the back of each leg. It's the only thing that works for Gracie. (And we've tried LOADS of things! 🤦‍♀️)

If you've got something you know works I'd try that first, and although he's only stamping one hind I'd treat them both.

I never found a way to stop Ben stamping, he did it on and off for years. Pig oil and sulphur was what helped most, but when it got really bad I did have to clip off his lovely feathers and this gave him the most relief. The vet gave him mite injections a few times but they didn't do anything. I experimented with changing his bed and that didn't help either. He enjoyed me combing out his feathers and getting really close - it must have been a relief for him. I wish that I had found something that worked, but with heavy types with feathers it is a difficult problem to get rid of completely.

I regularly use pig oil and sulphur so i think it stops the itch and stamping. When im remiss and dont do it, billy starts stamping.
Id also give the frontline a whirl. Treat all four legs at once.

Both my boys have got bad scabs behind the legs currently, inspite being treated regularly. I think its because its so warm and they are full feathered currently.
I have also got some diamatious earth and mixed it in with the oil and sulphur mix in the past.

I'm not using pig oil and sulphur at the moment, just a neutral oil, so perhaps that's a good idea for all legs going forward.

@domane I will try to get some Frontline, I think it's available without prescription. Thank you!

Reactions: domane
My vets advised against frontline as he said that the amount I would need wouldn’t be able to be provided by the shop as horses need much more than dogs do. He said that typically horse owners don’t use enough of the product for it to be effective and he couldn’t provide it because it is only licensed for dogs. This was some years ago so the situation may have changed.

Ale has stamped like that and picked his leg up like that and he doesn't have barely any feathers. His was down to a small sore or a little crack on his heel. Did I miss mites here or do they stamp for various reasons?

Worth a mention just in case, Niko got really stampy last winter, would itch his back legs on anything he could, would even lay down chewing on them, I immediately thought mites but it was actually a feed change, alfalfa does not agree with him! It dramatically reduced in days but took months to completely stop/recover. Just in case you’ve changed anything recently.

That's interesting @Jessey , I have changed his feed slightly. I know what I added, I'll try taking it away to start with.

I've ordered some x-large dog frontline but will save it for now.

Reactions: Jessey
Oh yes, Gracie can't eat alfalfa either.....it sends her to itchy hell!! But that's all over, not just her legs.

Today after all the oil worked its way through he was more comfortable, and I was able to get a better look at the very back and bottom of his heel, where he was curling his foot in.

I found a bare patch, about the size of a 50p, with white scurf and reddened skin. It was touch sensitive. I treated it with oil and rubbed it in, which seemed to give him some relief. I'll look again tomorrow and see whether the skin colour has improved - I can tell if it's sore because the skin gets darker and darker pink the sorer it seems to be. If it's not improved I'll try the trusty Hoof To Heal.

No idea of the cause though it might be related to his mallenders, I suppose. I couldn't take a picture, alas, I needed both hands to hold the hoof still!

newrider.com