Swollen Stomach??

AndaCroy

Oct 4, 2001
Visit site
Has anyone ever heard of a horses stomach swelling from to much riding or to tight of a girth? I was wondering because a pony of my neighbors that I ride stomach is swollen and the neighbor said it was because the trainer at there barn was riding him alot and hard and probably has the girth pretty tight. I don't think that that would be a good sign to have his stomach swollen and i was wondering is there was anything that i could to to help prevent that or if i should say something to the trainer aobut it becuase i don't want this pony to get hurt. I can't ride him for a little while becuase i just had knee surgery but i should be able to ride him in about another week and i don't want him to be sore becuase of her or anything. Thanks bunches. ~*Amanda*~

Do you mean his tummy is swollen all the time or just when you do up the girth, many horses blow out their tummy when you tighten thier girth, but relax after a few minutes. If his tummy is swollen all the time, is he wormed regularly?

I've never heard of a horse with a permanant swollen tummy because of a tight girth, though they do blow out to restrict how tight the girth is fastened they can't (to my knowledge remain blown out indefinitely) unfit horses at grass who's tummy muscles are slack can get humungous tummies or horses with a big worm burden.

Lesley

It wasn't that he had been holding his breath his stomach had swelled up like say your wrist might if you sprained it. All of the horse at the barn get wormed and vaccinated reguarly to. That is y i am worried becuase i didn't know that a horses stomach would swell. I know that they hold their breaths sometimes when getting saddle but never swell for like days.

i haven't heard of the stomack becoming swollen from riding when you go to these yards where they are ridden, for like 4 hours a day i have never seen the stomach swell!!
i would be worried about this and get it checked out??!!!
he may be wormed regulaly but the worms may have developed imunity, i would change it or get a wrom check done!!!

I agree with lamprellsarah - you should check out the worming routine. I know some yards that use the the same wormer all the time which is not recommended as it is. Different wormers for different worms and a strict routine is needed. However a wormy tummy is often identifiable and maybe this is not it at all.

This may sound `right out there' but has this horse ever had gut problems? I was thinking about an indigestion problem which would lead to him being bloated and seeming swelled.

Okay, imagine you own anatomy. If you had a girth done up round you it would be somewhere round your chest, just under your oxters (armpits) above your bust line (if you are female) What effect would this have on your stomach?......not much I bet.

There are 101 causes for bloat in horses, none of them negligible. If he has a swollen abdonen, behind his ribs, this needs looking into.

A tight girth will not cause his stomach to swell.

The owner of the barn told us that it was because the gurth was to tuight she thought. Also now I am not alwod to rude this pony and I don't know y. This barn is not making me happpy and the trainer there hurts horses more then she helps. EVERY horse she has worked with is now head shy, well almost every. Its very bad.

In the UK, if you fail to provide veterinary attention for an animal that needs it you can be prosecuted.

Sounds like this person needs reporting to a welfare organisation. It doesn't sound as though you can do anything by yourself, and helping her to make money by riding there isn't constructive, so maybe you should just leave, but express your concerns to someone who can investigate, and if there's a problem they may be able to do something about it.

Me riding there does nothing to help her make money. The place this is at is an Equestrian Thereapy program. I am what they call a barn mom, a barn mom comes out on weekends and works with the horse/pony and gives them the extra attention they need. The trainer was origanaly hired to work with the barn owners show horses and they also now board horses for training but now the person who used to work with the therapy horses has school work so the trainer is also working with the therapy horses and this is the worst they have ever been, like spooking wise and not listening wise. They told me at the end of the summer that I oculd ride this new pony and then after like 3 weeks they took that away from me. I could be back riding know becuase my knee is doing good but they have a sign in hus door that says Please do NOT ride Sylvie. I don't know why they don't want me riding him. I also have another post on her about this pony that i would like some advice on, its Pony that has outsmated his owners. Please HELP ME!! Thanks, Bye

newrider.com