The cost of taking a small animal to the vet doesn't add up

Would you rather the first line be how much can you afford to spend on diagnostics? I know our vets use that line to open a conversation about what the client can afford without being too direct about it.

There are worse starts, though "good morning" would be more normal - sorry, taking the mick there, I know what you mean. I do think costs need to be discussed very early on, it's not good for anyone if the money runs out part way through. Also diagnostics v treatment, as I said before I wouldn't want intrusive or expensive diagnostics if it isn't going to alter treatment or if the vet was confident of a diagnosis without them.

• Haha
Reactions: MrA
My vet didn't ask if we were insured, we are, but I didn't put in a claim.

Re the cat starting that medicine, I can't afford that and the insurance companies won't cover it.
Perhaps it's not the vet that is over charging but the suppliers and producers. As a small animal would need a small amount.
Or, are we keeping animals alive that would normally have been pts?

I think some of the problem is in part the owners who think the vet can perform miracles and in some cases they do. (thinking of a tv vet when I wrote that).
It should still be about putting animal welfare first.

I am not against xrays but I have recently heard of a horse that was pts because the xray was misread. Its believed they might actually have made a full recovery.
I totally get that mistakes happen, vets are only human as our we as a owners. But that was pretty horrendous for all concerned.

What gets me is if the pet is on long term/life long meds, they say vets will try and do special rates nearer cost price, if you discuss. Mine is on a very common long term med. They have never offered any reduction or special rate. In fact everytime i order a box the cost also actually goes up. You cant claim for it on insurance. So really im actually stupid to even pay out and should just have the horse pts.

And this is why being a vet is so challenging, trying to balance finances with the animals welfare with the clients wants and also their own diagnosis.

The cat is just over a year old and has a good chance of survival with the meds. Lots of people (myself included) wouldn't be able to afford treatment, insurance in this case is covering it.

I don't really agree that special rates should be offered just because the animal is on lifelong meds, all shops and businesses have mark up on their products, you'd be unlikely to get close to cost price for products at many of them just for being long term customers

Reactions: carthorse
This is just an example but we had a product that to order for us as a veterinary practice cost £36 and yet it could be bought online for about £12. So once you add a mark up to it then you start to get to the silly prices you are sometimes quoted.

I believe it is the cost or prescriptions and medication costs that is being reviewed by the regulator.

Yes someone on Jeremy Vine said when he asked for an itemised bill from his vet he saw he'd been charged something like £7 for a few paracetamol.

My small animal vet seems to be more expensive than my equine vet but maybe that's because in my head a smaller animal should cost less (not true!) The equine vet prices went up noticeably when they sold out to one of the large companies. I think that's what the whole fuss is about isn't it? The CMA looking into whether the large conglomerates that are busy buying up smaller practices are charging more because they have done away with the competition.

In most businesses the more you buy bulk or regular the price comes down. So you would think same would happen with the large conglomerates vets too. But it doesnt seem to be the case so maybe as you say there keeping high due to no competition.

Maybe when my horse vet bought out the others they were able to keep costs down?
I know they offer an area reduced call out fee for non emergency. So that's the day I would pick for her teeth and check.

Has anyone with a small pet asked for a visit to see if in fact that's cheaper than actually going to the vet?
I ask as my horse vet only has office space in my area and the vet uses that as a base but does all the visits. But the small pets all have premises with staff and that needs to be paid for and maybe that's why it's more expensive?

Well I am very pleased with my vets. I changed practice after the **** up that wanted Robin PTS. So I changed back to the equine only private practice. Double the distance away. Call out is 2/3 of the cost.

I rang on Thursday as robin wasn't well. I was fully expecting an emergency call out fee, they were there in an hour at 4pm. Vet checked him all over and couldn't find anything wrong. He took blood and said he wouldn't run them unless he didn't get better or got worse. His diagnosis was he has man flu! He said best thing to.di was watch and wait.

They rang the next day to check he was ok (he was!). They then rang on Monday again to check he was ok. Vet was with us for 30mins or so.

Bill came and it was £90. He hadn't charged for taking the blood. I was expecting more and was very happy to pay more for peace of mind.

Reactions: carthorse
Well I am very pleased with my vets. I changed practice after the **** up that wanted Robin PTS. So I changed back to the equine only private practice. Double the distance away. Call out is 2/3 of the cost.

I rang on Thursday as robin wasn't well. I was fully expecting an emergency call out fee, they were there in an hour at 4pm. Vet checked him all over and couldn't find anything wrong. He took blood and said he wouldn't run them unless he didn't get better or got worse. His diagnosis was he has man flu! He said best thing to.di was watch and wait.

They rang the next day to check he was ok (he was!). They then rang on Monday again to check he was ok. Vet was with us for 30mins or so.

Bill came and it was £90. He hadn't charged for taking the blood. I was expecting more and was very happy to pay more for peace of mind.
Is this because of the abscess?

Sorry I realise this post is about small animal vets
It's fine as I am using the horse to compare with them.
If you had taken a small animal to the vet it would have been more than £90 for the same thing and I wonder if it's due to the cost of the staff and premises.

That was a good price doodle.

No nf. My horse vets have no facilities now. They did have use where they were as they linked in with the small and large animal side of the practice. 2 office moves in 2 years. They have only offices now and they still charge loads. For ops or surgery that cant be done on farm they have to refer to another equine practice.

Our horse vet used to just have a few stables where they kept horses in overnight prior to scoping etc. They used to refer to a bigger practice for anything that required full facilities. Now they're both owned by the same company and it's expensive. So when Raf needed a lameness workup and when he goes for his scans to check that his suspensories are ok I take him a bit further afield. I go to a massive vet hospital that has a huge turnover and fab facilities. It's still independent though and prices are reasonable and the vets seem sensible.

I've heard of a couple of vets breaking away from the big practices and setting up as one man bands recently. It just worries me how they'd cope if they had a lot of emergencies at once.

Eta, looked up the wrong thing.

Horse vet looking on their website it says independent vet owned.

Just to follow up. I took the dog and cat to the vets this morning. Vet said i am missing a trick it would be alot cheap for me to have a pet plan with them as i would make quite a saving on the wormers etc.
So i have signed up. Not sure of todays tally currently.

Re cat microchip. Im no further forward on obtaining the microchip number. The vet checked it and said its not been registered, cat was clearly with a charity at some point looking at the missing ear tip. They are checking as there is a red flag against the chip. What the issue is they cant tell me. They are going to contact petlog i think it is and see if they can find out what the issue is.

Vet wonders if its just because its an old chip or something. Real mystery.
So at the moment as far as i can see chipping is not all its cracked up to be.

I wonder if its possible that the cat was taken on by someone but they didnt register her. But maybe its been listed on some site as missing or something. Is it even possible.

So if scratchy does take herself off and get lost there is still no way she can be reunited with me. Wonder if theyll tell me that she will need a new microchip.

My dog needed drops for her eyes, They cost me £27 plus the consultation and an injection. That was fine until I peeled the label off the drops and saw they were human drops with human dosages on and £2.99 in my local chemist. That's when I begin to resent being ripped off.

newrider.com