The versatile Quarter Horse

Keket

Jan 26, 2004
The all-around breed, the Quarter Horse. Level headed, calm, willing to work, quick to learn and good at just about everything.

So what western events does everyone do with their Quarter Horses?

Coquette, my 2002 QH mare does trails, pleasure/equitation, halter/showmanship and shows potential for reining, barrels/poles and cow work. She's only been on cattle once, but it's in her bloodlines and she's totally fearless! We took her to her first clinic last year and everyone commented on how laid back she was for only being a five year old and it being her first time out.

DSCF0360.jpg

DSCF0368.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture156.jpg

AND she does English too!

How can anyone not love this breed? :D

Keket that is one great looking Quarter Horse. I love the breed too. It's amazing how level headed and athletic most Quarter Horses are. Coquette is definitely one versatile QH.

We use our Quarter Horses for trail, cow work and versatility ranch classes.

My RI uses Quarter Horses too. Her newest Quarter Horse is named Matt. He's a great reiner. He'll turn on a dime and give you change back. She's training him now to ride bridleless/halterless. Plus he does trails and he's quiet enough to put little kids and total beginners on him. Quarter Horses are just so chilled that way.

Quarter Horses are my all-time favorite breed! My old horse (my first horse), Kalypso, was an extremely versatile Quarter Horse that did trail, western pleasure, hunter unders saddle, and jumping! She was also extremely calm and level-headed. Best temperament ever! :D

She wasn't nearly as pretty as Coquette, though
IM000133a.jpg

Last edited:
My RI uses Quarter Horses too. Her newest Quarter Horse is named Matt. He's a great reiner. He'll turn on a dime and give you change back. She's training him now to ride bridleless/halterless. Plus he does trails and he's quiet enough to put little kids and total beginners on him. Quarter Horses are just so chilled that way.

Quarter horses that are bred for reining are great. They go from a run to a sliding stop, then just stand quiet as can be with a low head.

Quarter Horses are my all-time favorite breed! My old horse (my first horse), Kalypso, was an extremely versatile Quarter Horse that did trail, western pleasure, hunter unders saddle, and jumping! She was also extremely calm and level-headed. Best temperament ever! :D

That's great. I would love to see a picture of your Quarter Horse Kalypso.

Next time I'm at the barn I'll try to get a picture of RI's Quarter Horse Matt. He's such a handsome fellow. :)

Kalypso, my old Quarter Horse, used to do sliding stops, too...usually when I didn't want her to ;) :) Maybe she had some reining in her, too.

joePony is half barrel-racing QH on his dad's side. Even with the barrel racing lines being more hot-headed and reactive, he's still inherited that level QH character which makes him so very trainable. He's only just starting out on his career, but is already winning in the dressage and jumping shows here locally - against 'real' dressage and jumping horses :) (of the 'cost many times more than $500 variety, I mean).

Summer is also half QH - hence the big wide solid butt which gives her so much power over the bigger jumps. Fortunately for me, she's also inherited the tremendous spin and athleticism which enables us to tackle the trickier local jumping courses (and half way makes up for her inate inelegance inherited from her TWH daddy, which effectively bans us from the hunter ring - even though she's one of the best actual foxhunters I have ever met !)

I think I can only claim one 'whole' QH there, out of the two halfs LOL ! But, yep - they're certainly versatile - it's that combination of very athletic, with incredibly easy to train that really works for me.

I've heard they're a very intelligent breed, are they like the other intelligent ones (eg. Icelandics)....give a centimetre, they take a marathon?

I watched a video of one cutting a little while ago, it was amazing to watch him work! I'd never be able to sit a sliding stop though :eek:

Western tack is so beautiful, I love Coquette's browband!

Kalypso wasn't. She was smart, and learned easily, but unlike Mia (my old Arab/Appy mare) she wasn't "too smart for her own good".

are they like the other intelligent ones (eg. Icelandics)....give a centimetre, they take a marathon?
No ! That's the best thing about the QH (apart from his Butt !) is his generally affable easy nature. It's quite special, I think, and speaking as a forigner who only came across the breed 4 years ago - to combine trmendous athleticism with a seriously forgiving nature !

No ! That's the best thing about the QH (apart from his Butt !) is his generally affable easy nature. It's quite special, I think, and speaking as a forigner who only came across the breed 4 years ago - to combine trmendous athleticism with a seriously forgiving nature !

Yeah, that's what I was getting at :D Almost every Quarter Horse I've ever met has been a fantastic, intelligent, powerful, and forgiving creature...(and I've met a LOT of them!)

I've heard they're a very intelligent breed, are they like the other intelligent ones (eg. Icelandics)....give a centimetre, they take a marathon?

I watched a video of one cutting a little while ago, it was amazing to watch him work! I'd never be able to sit a sliding stop though :eek:

Western tack is so beautiful, I love Coquette's browband!

Like Kate said, they're really not that way. They really want to please their rider. I call Coquette my big puppy dog, cause that's how she is. :D

Sliding stops are tricky at first. You really have to brace your feet against the stirrups and lean back. I've nearly gone over Coquette's head a few times when I wasn't ready for a stop from that powerful QH bum!

And thanks! That's her working bridle, a little bit of silver. It's old, but it's made of really good, well oiled leather. I love the feel of it.

And don't say that Kalypso! I think your Quarter Horse is beautiful! She's got such a cute face.

newrider.com