This poor horse must have been in agony.

Dillysmum

Sep 1, 2008
I've just seen some awful pictures on another forum of neglected feet. They have to be the worst I've seen. Apparently the horse is getting better now thankfully but this must be the result of months of none existent foot care :mad:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/discountequest/Sam/Picture034-1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b355/discountequest/Sam/Picture032.jpg

Can a horse ever recover from this?

sorry i copied the picture link from the properties box on the other forum. I dont know why they didnt come out

Last edited:
When i bought my broodmare her feet hadn't been touched for 13 1/2 years, they were in a terrible state as you can imagine, she's still very funny about picking her feet up but with regular trimming a good hoof supplement and conditioner you can get them better. It's a long drawn out job though. I can't understand how people can leave them for soooo long.

Last edited:
I have seen worse but I agree it is terrible and I will never understand how people can do it, but then some of them are probably the same sort who keep their kids in ill fitting shoes and I've seen the permenant damage that does too!

I to have seen worst on many of the yards I have been and alot of field I used to visit with friends. I also saw alot worst at a supposed animal charity. I obviously can't mention them on here but the suffering that went on at this sanctuary was horrendous. There was a tb and her feet were like aladins slippers. I have been compaigning to get this place closed for years. Once again the powers that be never seem to be able to get enough evidence.

I see a lot of that here, it isn't as bad as it looks. Besides the obvious founder that has grown out, the cracks/chips are the hoof's natural way of trimming itself.

I'd wager with just one good trim you'd get rid of 90% of what you see. The other stuff could probably be cleared up in 2 or 3 more trims.

That's no problem at all, there's nothing there to cause him any pain, just chipped broken feet. Wouldn't take long to get them to a decent state, one trim would go an awful long way.

I wish I had photos of the worst case I had to deal with, the mare had NEVER had her feet done and was about 12 years old. The sole of her foot had disappeared, the fog was gone and she was walking on the sides of her hooves. As a consequense her pastern bones had deformed. It was as though her hoof had completely folded in half. Then to add to the problems they had curled too, into Ali Ba-ba slippers.

This is a hoof of another horse, not the one I am on about, but imagine this one but 100 times worse.
IMG_0626.jpg

:eek:
That's no problem at all, there's nothing there to cause him any pain, just chipped broken feet. Wouldn't take long to get them to a decent state, one trim would go an awful long way.

I wish I had photos of the worst case I had to deal with, the mare had NEVER had her feet done and was about 12 years old. The sole of her foot had disappeared, the fog was gone and she was walking on the sides of her hooves. As a consequense her pastern bones had deformed. It was as though her hoof had completely folded in half. Then to add to the problems they had curled too, into Ali Ba-ba slippers.

This is a hoof of another horse, not the one I am on about, but imagine this one but 100 times worse.

omg- that is horrific, has that horse recovered now- please say his hooves arent still like that! :eek:

seen a lot worse than that, all it needs is a good trim, usually they wear them down and the bits break off and it levels out - the splits are bad but seriously you would see similar on many livery yards - seen donkey's feet with the toes turning up and around like aladin slippers. see this fairly often.

Vodka's feet were like that when she came in from france.

The pony with the really, really bad feet has made a kind of recovery, she'll never be 100%, but she's able to gallop about and is relatively free to move. She'll always have deformed partern bones though. The Vet thought she might be better PTS. The farrier lass who taught me made me do her feet as a "project" I was gobsmacked at what nature can repair with a bit of help from mankind. She ened up with hooves and a sole and a frog again.

The one in the photo was one of the ponies in the massive cruelty case a year or so back. I have no idea what happened to the pony, probably still wandering about with feet like that! A lot of them mysteriously went missing!

Last edited:
I think she'll be o.k. with a good trimming....

As for painful... that would be something like this... (BTW I think the owners should have been shot leaving this animal get this way... but things like this happen here in Spain more than it should :( )

casco1.jpg

Last edited:
That's dreadful, Wally :eek: and that's not the worst? :mad:

Fred's blog is a good one to read if you want to see the changes that can be made with appropriate trimming and management, it's a warts and all blog but very inspirational:

http://www.unshod.co.uk/articles/fredsblog.php

There hasn`t been an up date on fred for a while do you know how he is getting on?The article was very interesting

Now those are BAD feet, I have seen them with that kind of length, I suppose it's our wet environment that makes them go curled, dry Spanish ground would make the horse less prone to bending I suppose.

I am not sure I'd know where to begin trimming those, .....think I'd want an x-ray first.

That photo of the horse in spain made me feel sick. Look at the joints of the leg, it is completely mutated and deformed. Disgusting.

Crikey, those spanish ones are unbelievable, the poor poor hoss.

The first ones are in a darn right mess, but I could imagine with some intensive care on them over time they could come right.

Its amazing how they can end up like this Whats a trim.. £20?

I think she'll be o.k. with a good trimming....

As for painful... that would be something like this... (BTW I think the owners should have been shot leaving this animal get this way... but things like this happen here in Spain more than it should :( )

casco1.jpg

is that defo a horse?!:eek: it looks like it has 2 toes, like a goat or something:eek: thats terrible letting them get into that state!!!:mad:

my broodmares feet look like the first pic when i bought her, she hadnt been trimmed whilst in foal,

i have had to wait 4 weeks before getting her trim as there was other issues for me to deal with,

her feet look great, and my farrier says she has really good strong feet and for me just to keep up with her trims and she should be able to stay barefoot when i bring her back to work :D

newrider.com