Trailer VS 3.5T Lorry....whats cheaper?

Vicki100

Jun 12, 2009
West Mids
Hi Guys

I am having a long hard think about selling my little 3.5t lorry and getting a trailer instead....

Just wondered if I could have some rough prices of keeping a trailer per year?? do you have to have them serviced yearly etc?

My current situation is this.....just wondered what you guys would do in my position!

Car - very economic 1.3l Suzuki Jimny, doesn't cost much in fuel, tax or insurance. On a Week day I don't drive far at all.....yard twice a day (2 mile from home) and I walk to work.
Weekends i usually cover 20-40 miles per day as i like to go out exploring with the pooch.

Lorry - 3.5t Ford Transit type L Reg, super reliable, has never skipped a beat, low mileage, good condition etc Just been MOT'd (Had new breaks, pads and hoses) previous to this has passed MOT every time since ive owned it. Also has just been fully painted and taxed.
Since moving to a yard with a school at the beginning of this year i have hardly used it, i have gone out in it around 7 times since Jan. Also since splitting up with my partner (Who used to come out with my in the lorry everytime i drove it) i have lost all confidence going out in it, i cant do the ramp alone as it is heavy and im only 5 foot, so i end up spraining my wrists each time i try to use it. I have also no confidence driving it anymore, but will happily drive a car all day long.

It costs me £450 to insure every year, £220 ish to tax for a year, £110 break down cover per year....and have just spent £500 on the MOT works.

I just can't help thinking this is a lot of money for something i have barely used?

But i still want the freedom of being able to go out when i fancy....

So i was thinking sell both the car and lorry.....upgrade the car, take trailer test and then buy a trailer?
Thoughts?

Also what are the rough costs for towing lessons and test? (I have new type license so cannot tow without the test)

Have you towed before? Your going to need a big 4x4 to tow safely ideally, so wont be alot different to the van. Some people really dont like towing and you do need confidence to do it. What about upgrading the springs on your ramp? perhaps have a few lessons towing to see how you feel about towing before ditching the van :) yes a trailer is a cheaper method though then running a 2nd vehicle. Given the choice Id rather have a box then a trailer, but I dont mind driving either! there are the added runnig costs of having a thirsty car, but you dont do many miles a week so I guess thats not really to big an issue.

I haven't towed, would need to take a test (See last sentence on my thread lol!) but I feel more confident in a car than I do in the lorry....good idea though, might be worth having a lesson just to see how I feel....

sorry I just wondered if you had maybe at least had a go, you can I believe tow with L plates on the vehicle your driving with a passenger who is qualified to/holds licence to unless things have changed since all that!

It's a toughie. I used to have a Pajero and trailer combo (loved the Pajero especially in the bad winters we had a couple of years ago) but swapped to a 7.5 ton little box. To be honest I don't think there's much in the cost of keeping the Pajero versus the box - box might be a bit heavier on fuel perhaps, but it is quite economical and the Pajero wasn't! However I did have to keep my own car for work (so paying 2 x tax, insurance, maintenance etc) as I do 300 miles a week which would have cost a fortune in the Pajero, and you wouldn't have to do that if you only do a few miles, so I would have thought it probably would be cheaper to go for the car/trailer option.

There is no legal requirement to service a trailer annually as far as I know, but it makes sense to get it checked and make sure everything is working properly. When I had mine there were two other people on the yard with trailers and we all had them serviced.

I didn't really enjoy the trailer though, I have to say. I didn't like the faff of hitching it up and having to load everything into the car - it made every trip out seem more of an effort. I particularly didn't like reversing it! Going forwards was no problem!

I absolutely love my box - I don't find it any more difficult to drive than a car, it's easy to park and reverse and I can keep all the things I need for my trips out in the tack area - buckets, coolers, first aid box, spare boots, chemical toilet etc, and I just have tack, hay and water to put on before a trip out.

I think it's an excellent idea to have a go at towing a trailer before you decide. I think trailer training and test fees vary a lot so it's worth doing a bit of research in your locality.

Sorry to hear that you've split up with your partner btw. You always seemed to do everything together. Hope you're ok x

I previously had a trailer, now have a 7.5t and currently saving up to do my practical test.

Cons of trailer - can't really go that far, horses aren't as sound proof from the world, no living for getting changed/storage etc, have to run a more expensive car (ideally!), easily stolen, some horses don't like forward facing trailers, they can seem quite small and enclosed so can make loading horses more tricky, and of course you have the whole towing malarkey. Unless you've towed before, don't assume it'll be easier than the 3.5t. It won't be. When you manoeuvre remember you have to turn your wheel the wrong way at first then begin turning the car at appropriate time.

On the plus side you only have one vehicle to run!

Having towed (not horses, an old army sankey trailer) and driven a wagon, I would say wagon hands down. If I were you personally, I would save up a few pennies to put towards making your wagon easier to use, adjusting the springs to the ramp etc.

Driving a decent 3.5t shouldn't feel much more difficult than driving a car, but adding a trailer on the back will change that.

If your only really ever travelling one horse then look into getting a single horse trailer. They are lighter and you wouldn't need such a big 4x4.

I love love love having a 4x4 and trailer. I find towing easy peasey, love reversing it.

I have to pay £300 per year to store the trailer at a farm. Insurance is about £80 per year I think, it's added onto Rosie's Petplan insurance.

I have it serviced every year by a fella that comes to the farm, costs about £80 a time.

I have breakdown cover with RAC and pay an extra £45 per year for horse trailer assist.

Buying and running the 4x4 is the biggest cost. My Sorento is great but everything does Cost more than running a smaller car, my insurance is almost double what it was on my Focus before. Tyres are over £120 each....the car was about £13k to buy too, tho it had done barely any mileage and was 5 years old.

I find hitching up easy. I had to do a test, but I practised for a while with my mum in the car and L plates on, so I wasn't a complete novice. Though I did a 3 day course with Billy Thomas HGV/trailer people just off junction 2 of the M54. Highly recommend them, they do taster lessons too. The 3 day courses including the test was about £550. I passed first time.

Before getting rid of your lorry then I agree, have a look to see if you can upgrade the springs, get a new open/close system, I've never opened a lorry door before but perhaps someone may have some tips!

Reactions: Vicki100
I previously had a trailer, now have a 7.5t and currently saving up to do my practical test.

Cons of trailer - can't really go that far, horses aren't as sound proof from the world, no living for getting changed/storage etc, have to run a more expensive car (ideally!), easily stolen, some horses don't like forward facing trailers, they can seem quite small and enclosed so can make loading horses more tricky, and of course you have the whole towing malarkey. Unless you've towed before, don't assume it'll be easier than the 3.5t. It won't be. When you manoeuvre remember you have to turn your wheel the wrong way at first then begin turning the car at appropriate time.

On the plus side you only have one vehicle to run!

Having towed (not horses, an old army sankey trailer) and driven a wagon, I would say wagon hands down. If I were you personally, I would save up a few pennies to put towards making your wagon easier to use, adjusting the springs to the ramp etc.

Driving a decent 3.5t shouldn't feel much more difficult than driving a car, but adding a trailer on the back will change that.

Good points ponylover....

My 3.5t does feel like im driving a tank LOL, im teeny tiny most 10yr olds are bigger than me so it feels massive driving it, although it is a nice drive and power steering etc.....not sure what could be done to the ramp as its an old vehicle ?

My main issue is paying for 2 lots of insurance, 2 lots of tax, 2 lots of fuel when I have only used my lorry 7 times this year? Just seems like a lot of money and a waste of it just sitting there un-used....

If your only really ever travelling one horse then look into getting a single horse trailer. They are lighter and you wouldn't need such a big 4x4.

I love love love having a 4x4 and trailer. I find towing easy peasey, love reversing it.

I have to pay £300 per year to store the trailer at a farm. Insurance is about £80 per year I think, it's added onto Rosie's Petplan insurance.

I have it serviced every year by a fella that comes to the farm, costs about £80 a time.

I have breakdown cover with RAC and pay an extra £45 per year for horse trailer assist.

Buying and running the 4x4 is the biggest cost. My Sorento is great but everything does Cost more than running a smaller car, my insurance is almost double what it was on my Focus before. Tyres are over £120 each....the car was about £13k to buy too, tho it had done barely any mileage and was 5 years old.

I find hitching up easy. I had to do a test, but I practised for a while with my mum in the car and L plates on, so I wasn't a complete novice. Though I did a 3 day course with Billy Thomas HGV/trailer people just off junction 2 of the M54. Highly recommend them, they do taster lessons too. The 3 day courses including the test was about £550. I passed first time.

Before getting rid of your lorry then I agree, have a look to see if you can upgrade the springs, get a new open/close system, I've never opened a lorry door before but perhaps someone may have some tips!

I was hoping you'd reply Julie, thanks some brilliant info there.....definitely going to have a go at a taster lesson before I make any decisions....!

Good points ponylover....

My 3.5t does feel like im driving a tank LOL, im teeny tiny most 10yr olds are bigger than me so it feels massive driving it, although it is a nice drive and power steering etc.....not sure what could be done to the ramp as its an old vehicle ?

My main issue is paying for 2 lots of insurance, 2 lots of tax, 2 lots of fuel when I have only used my lorry 7 times this year? Just seems like a lot of money and a waste of it just sitting there un-used....
If you search some local horsebox builders (of any size) and give them a call they should be able to help - if you have enough money you could look at getting a lighter ramp fitted, but mostly it's about the adjustment in the springs. I have a 7.5t hydraulic spring assisted but it's now gone a wee bit faulty and I was hauling myself on it yday to drop it!

Hi Vicki, good to see you back. :)
I would love a box rather than a trailer, I can drive the trailer but find it a real pain in the butt and would much prefer to just get in a box and drive, at least a box is easier to reverse. I don't think there would be much difference in running cost to be honest, I used to have two cars, KA for work and Shogun for yard stuff, I loved the Shogun but it was really heavy on fuel. Both gone now and I now have a Ford Kuga which will do pretty much everything the Shogun did but with the same fuel economy as the KA, downside is since my stupid vertigo I'm not legally allowed to tow for a year! So trailer just sitting on the drive doing nothing, where if I had a box I'd be allowed to drive it. :(
The other option might be to get rid of the box and hire a trailer when you need one? But then you'd still need a towing vehicle and you wouldn't just have the freedom to decide to go out and about anytime you wanted.

I love my trailer and my car. This combo is the cheapest option for me.

Car 260 tax for year
insurance 210
Mot 40
Service

trailer is service only 100 pa, no cost as kept at yard.

My mileage is like yours minimum per week so fuel cost is low.

if I had a lorry it would cost mot, tax, insurance x 2 plus plating and servicing on both so a lot more even if I brought a small car.

my santa fe is amazing just as good as my senento was.

I have no issues driving or reversing.

Trailer will always be cheaper.

I use OH's Landrover and the trailer he bought me - an Ifor 510 which suits Tobes well as it is bigger - he seemed to fill the 505 and leapt off the ramp as it was just too steep a turn for him - although he is only 15.3/16hh he is a big horse and the 505 was too small for him.

I would love a small horsebox but OH is insistent it is just not cost effective - and he is right!!!

Thanks ladies definitely food for thought....

I am edging towards the single trailer route with a smaller 4x4 then see how I go with that....

or just renting a self drive small Renault master or single trailer as and when as Kite_Rider mentioned....

Its difficult really, I love the box and have had so many happy memories with it but I cant justify the costs when I only go out once or twice a month if that? :-(

Does anyone have a proper understanding of how the single trailer thing works? I have been told you need to down plate the single trailer....the whole weight thing blows my mind lol!....

For me, it works out much cheaper to have a 3.5 tonne lorry. We did all the calculations and came up with the following:

I own a 5 year old 1.2 skoda fabia. This is cheap to run in all aspects. If I sold my fabia I would get about £3000 for it. To buy a decent 4 x 4 of a similar age which could tow a 2 horse trailer and act as a decent family car I would need to pay about £15,000. This would be much more expensive on fuel, tax, insurance etc. and we estimated the running costs to be about £500 a year more than my fabia. Therefore, that is £12000 to upgrade my vehicle, and £500 more a year to run it.

Then I would have to buy a trailer. While you can get them cheaper, I personally wouldn't be happy with anything too old so would be looking at at least £3000 for this. The trailer would need to be maintained etc. which also comes at a cost. With the trailer and the car this would cost a total of £15000.

We decided to opt for a 3.5 tonne lorry (N reg). This cost me £4700 to buy and about £1000 per year in running costs (insurance, MOT, maintenance and fuel). Therefore this was £10,300 less in purchase cost (compared to the 4x4 and the trailer), and only costs me £500 more a year to run compared to the towing option.

I feel much more comfortable driving my lorry and would be useless towing! I am a confident car driver, but there is no way that I would join a motorway towing a trailer with my horse in it. Are you sure that you cannot cope with the ramp? Everyone I have been to in my box I have found nice people who would help me if I had a problem. I think that the vast majority of people would help you put your ramp up if you asked them to?

All I'd mention is that I'm sure the rules changed re the person you have with you while you're learning. I think it now has to be someone who has passed their trailer test, rather than having it as part of grandfather rights to driving. Sucks cause I bought I plates to drive Flipo about with my dad beside me and now I can't.

I don't think you will find that a single trailer is that much cheaper than a double, and it limits your options.

I would go for a double trailer. Ifors are good, but get one with a metal floor. Wood will inevitably need to be changed and will be heavier.

Edited to add, there are plenty of 4x4's that wouldn't cost you 15k to buy. I own a Ssanyong Rexton which is perfectly capable of towing 3.5 tonnes, and even OH who is a sheep farming Landrover owning man, is sure that the Ssanyong would tow equally as well as the Landrover. The reason I don't have a hitch on the Ssangyong is because we change the Landrover every year and its less wear on my four wheel drive.

The Ssanyong cost me £8k and it was less than three years old when I bought it. New, it is 24k.

I don't think you are correct Flipo'sMum. You cannot drive a 7.5t on L plates unless the supervisor has tested entitlement but grandfather's rights still apply to accompanying an L driver towing.

Having had various trailers, tow cars, small and larger lorries I would go for whatever you feel best driving as then you will use it more. We are now thinking of getting small HGV as our next lorry, just a bit worried about tacho rules but we currently use our 7.5 lorry at least once a week all year round, because it is no hassle, load tack, horse, food for all and go knowing everything else you need is on board. With a trailer it was a major exercise in loading car, hitching up etc so we didn't do spontaneous outings!!

Hope whatever you choose suits you.

As an older driver, who has only just recently started driving the trailer myself, I have to say using the trailer is really no issue, and certainly wouldn't put me off going somewhere I wanted to go, but as always its horses for courses!

Good luck with your decision!

We once drove from the middle of England to the south of Cornwall and back in a day, two drivers , discovery towing and IW510 ,so tiring we slept through the next day. Drove a Theault 3.5t to and from Hickstead to middle of England including hours queueing on the M25, one driver easy and did 2 hour journey the next day. Daughter has driven 7.5 t for up to 8 hours and finds it easier than a car!

newrider.com