trakheners and shoeing

faymouse

Mar 8, 2007
Hi just taken on a young half bred mare who proved to be impossible to shoe...threw herself all over the place had to give up for our own safty's sake. She has been a bit wary of having her feet picked out since she arrived. I have now heard that this can be a trakhener trait...does anyone have a similar experience with this breed or crosses?
She has a lovely nature though is very green.

my trak was fine to shoe/muck about with his feet. But they are an awful sensitive breed and a mistake or a fright can set them back.. more than alot of other types of horses.
Best bet is patience. I always thought i was great with horses and i had a patience of a saint, that was until Rodney (the trak) came along. He pushed it to the outter limits :rolleyes:

I'd not heard of it being a breed trait, problems with foot handling usually stem from bad experiences and lack of trust. It's fixable with patience and someone like an Intelligent Horsemanship Recommended Associate would be able to show you how to approach the problem in the most effective way. There's a list at www.intelligenthorsemanship.co.uk under the Horse Help link.

I have a part bred trak who is not a problem at all to shoe. In fact he is only 3 and a half and i leave the farrier alone to shoe him. However he is super sensitive and if something upsets him it takes a while to gain his trust again. I a=have not heard of this being a trait with trakehners

newrider.com