Trying again

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
Sorry about previous post.

Short story robin is lame again/still. Same front foot. Seemed ok. Took him to show. He was delighted to be out but after not being sure warming up he hobbled round first turn. Put hand up and withdrew.

Gutted. He was game to carry on. But he was lame, not just a bit off.

I am a horrible spoilt brat. I am not ready to retire him. My best guess however is arthritis.

He is going to vets anyway on Friday to x-ray a tooth so I am going to ring tomorrow and ask them to block that foot and then x-ray foot and/or fetlock.

The part of being on a livery yard is it has spread like wildfire so everyone is asking me a out it. I just can't discuss it, I don't know what people want me to say. So I end up trying to be brought and positive and make other people feel ok.

I can't afford another horse, but I just want him to be ok.

Nothing useful to add but you are not a spoiled brat, everything you are feeling is very valid and understandable. Take care and hopefully Friday comes round quickly so don't have to burden too many difficult conversations with liveries!

Oh damn.

You're not being a spoiled brat, you care for him and you don't want him hurting. Maybe speak to the practice tomorrow and make sure you can add an examination and x-rays of that foot on, if they can't do it on that date it gives you time to reschedule.

If you can bear to it's probably best to say to a few people at the yard that you're too worried and upset to talk about it at the moment and anyway you won't know much until he's seen the vet. Ask them to ask the other liveries to give you some space. The chances are they're only trying to be supportive, but I know from experience that it doesn't always feel that way when you're feeling desperate and seeing worst case scenarios 🤗 🤗

No definitely not anything spoiled about that, he’s your world, you’re totally valid in feeling the way you do. Will be thinking of you this week, and hope they find something they can help with 🤞🤞

Thankyou. Yes I will be ringing tomorrow and asking them if they can add it on.

They absolutely are trying to be supportive, but when being asked for the 10th time it's frustrating. "Yep he is lame" dosnt seem to cut it for some people. I got back yesterday and 1 livery asked how we had got on, told her he was lame. Another over heard so she asked. 2 secs later I went to other side to my box and up asks is he is lame! So she lectures me I need to get him xrayed like I hadn't thought of that.

Coupled with a livery winning the lottery and like a kite I didn't even bring robin in in the afternoon but took his feed, rugs etc to him.

It's still just that left turn. I had taken him on Monday and he has been great. But that was out 24/7 and he had been in from a out 4pm the night before show which is what is making me think arthritis.

One thing for sure is he won't be doing box rest.

Thanks everyone

You've got everything in hand and have done all you can so now look after yourself. Do something that you find relaxing, worrying won't fix anything but it does make you less able to make good decisions and deal with things.

The only thing I would ask you, is this the foot that he fractured and needed the box rest, or is this the one had the abscess or lost the shoe.

What side of the mouth is the issue with the tooth, could this be altering how he takes up the bridle and therefore how he moves.

Is it possible (this is just based on my experience with the cob)
That he has gone from special shoes to normal shoes? Box rest to being out. The weather has gone from being very wet to suddenly dry.
Mine ended up with a bruised some last year and she was lame downhill with it on just the one leg.

No it is a different foot to the fractured pedal bone. It is the one that seemed to be bruised. He lost the shoe and had a small abscess on the other front. Then this front one that has the bruise on the heel. Vet saw He was lame in trot on the hard when that foot is in the inside.. Farrier couldn't find an abscess or a bruised foot and thought he had caught that heel with a back foot. There was very very clear bruising but that was 5/6 weeks ago now. He did not have special.shoes on the front. He has been turned out now since 24th December.

Yes hopefully everything is still bruised. But I'm it convinced it is just that, coincidental, or something different. He is sound on the straight and going right. He is lame on the left more than he was initially. But it has been going on for too long. And the time before that shoeing I seem to remember him reacting, well not as bad as reacting but noticing, when that shoe was nailed on.

Really just needed to be upset for a minute. I need to pass it to vet and see what they say. I can't deal with going in circles in my head trying to second guess as to what the future will hold.

Horses cause us so much worry and stress, I sometimes wonder why we do it. And how can anything with that size and strength be so delicate and flakey? Keeping everything crossed for you that it turns out to be something fixable.

Good luck with your house move too 🙂

Today's crazy update from the dramas that are the world of Robin.

He.now has a hot foot with a pulse. He isn't abscess lame, he is not even lame while being cross in the field (he didn't want to be in, but he didn't want to be out in the rain). I even got another livery to feel his foot without asking when why and Def much warmer.

Chat with vet who has said unless he goes proper lame on that foot (which I would actually like) then we will stick to plans to x-ray on Friday. (Special dental vet is off till then who wants to do the teeth x-ray).

I am not questioning whether a horse can break 2 pedal bones....

Abscesses don't always make them lame, that picture of the nasty one of Jess' that I shared, she wasn't sore on it at all! but some of the lesser ones she had, she was almost non-weight bearing on. So don't rule that out yet!

I believe you can see 'something to indicate the presence of one' yes, it will at least tell you if there is something abnormal inside the hoof capsule.

There is defo something still going on with it and given its been niggling for so long I think xrays are probably not a bad idea since he was going in anyway.

Crossing my fingers for you that hopefully something simple!

You can usually see something on the xray.
When mine had hers done they could see the hole, which they then plugged.
She cooked it for a few months as it was deep.

We couldn’t see Jess’ on X-ray, the couple of times we tried, the hospital said its not unusual to not be able to see them though often you can.

newrider.com