Trying again

Raf also had an undetected abscess. He was on off lame for a while, some days hobbling and other days fine. The vet said the only thing she was certain about was that it wasn't a break and it wasn't an abscess. Because he was sound on the day she came she put him on limited turnout followed by a gradual return to work plan. Two farrier visits later the farrier uncovered a huge hole in his foot. Needless to say I was very relieved but could have done without all the worry.

Have caught up with farrier and vet. Farrier first. Foot stone cold and he saw no signs of abscess and didn't want to take shoe off and start digging.

Good decision as then caught up with the vet. Effusion in the coffin joint. She couldn't see it but lameness vet did. Bad reception at the yard so couldn't ask as much as I wanted but he will get injected on Friday. I don't know the long term outcome, I will ask more Friday, but vet didn't sound too negative, he will need a little rest then back into work quite quickly.

Glad you have some answers, and the chance to get more on friday. Hopefully with the injection the swelling will reduce quickly.

I am also glad you have some answers and it seems like youve probably caught it pretty early if the 'normal' vet didnt see it on the xrays.

What are you having injected? Id ask the vet about Arthramid if its not that as thats supposed to prevent further damage and seems like its been quite successful for a fair number of people for longer time frames than just steroids.

That's what I asked! Means the joint is inflamed. What I don't know is if that is injury or arthritis. It was really hard to get any info other than he will get joint injection, small amount of rest then back in to work. I will get more info from the vet on Friday but she wasn't sounding too worried.

Oh dear i dont want to knock your spirits. I hope it turns out better for you than mine did.
But i recall my vet saying we'll inject and you can carry on. Injuries like this do better to be exercised. Two years later. Im sorry but i consider this horse too lame to be ridden.
What was a supposedly a very minor injury, difficult to detect. Mmmmm🤞🤞🤞

He's 17. He's a big horse. He has well managed (by steroid injections last time lasting 19months) hock arthritis. If I got another 2 years riding I would be delighted. However I will take my vets advice as there are a million different factors between horses.

I'm very happy because the vet is very unconcerned!

There is slight extra bone on the pastern bone, which will be causing little to no issue as it is not in the way and not loading bearing. The joint is not damaged bone/cartilage wise. The joint capsule is slightly inflamed and puffy which is causing the issue.

But it's mild. He sees no reason why he won't come back to doing what he has done before specially when we compete at such a low level. He said there are alot of top competition horses who have this issue and have these jabs as part of their maintenance. The fact that he is only lame turning right left and absolutely fine in the field is very positive.

He said he might need more he might never need more. But he really was very unconcerned about it 🙂. We discussed his hocks and he feels as he he went 19 months last time he thinks quite possibly fused and will not cause issues. But we discussed cartrophen if needed in the future.

So he has had the jab and was a very brave boy and now has a lovely green bandage on. He is to stay in till Monday with in hand walks then RIDE on Monday. (Was not expecting that!) Week walking, then trot. Then he is booked in at the vets for his tooth in 2 weeks time so will have a quick look, but unless something happens meantime it should be back to normal.

All the horses are to be in tonight and tomorrow anyway so he will be fine. And on Sunday he can go in a small pen in the field.

Wow that's fast. We've got three months of walking, but it's all individual to the horse and the issues isn't it.

Im really pleased for you Doodle! Probably one of the better outcomes of lameness and will look forward to your dressage reports again soon. :)

Reactions: Bodshi
That's really great news, what a relief! What causes this to happen, did the vet give you any idea? I wonder if it's compensatory from his other foot issues 🤔

Wow that's fast. We've got three months of walking, but it's all individual to the horse and the issues isn't it.
Its not an abscess.

That's really great news, what a relief! What causes this to happen, did the vet give you any idea? I wonder if it's compensatory from his other foot issues 🤔
He said it was just wear and tear that can happen with any horse, but yes I do wonder if there is a bit of that. It is the diagnoal opposite foot.

Reactions: Jessey
Im really pleased for you Doodle! Probably one of the better outcomes of lameness and will look forward to your dressage reports again soon. :)
Yes I was prepared for not riding again. Obviously it might go wrong yet but for now I'm happy 🙂

newrider.com