What a great feeling... (long)

LMS

Sep 14, 2005
Ontario, Canada
...to be an instructor sometimes:)

Two Monday's ago, I got my first hug of the season, (and yes KateWooten was the first to find out;) ) it was the end of an adapted voltige/sensory lesson, I was being audited by our stable's special advisor, the parents, riders & teams were bidding farewel (I had another class coming), and I heard this little girl's guardian say: "Yes go on, it's ok.", she just rushed over to me and wraped her arms around me & said "thank you!" I was not expecting this & I just hugged her back & told her you're welcome.

I thought: wow, that was so cool!

You see this little girl has Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy and other issues. So her mouth is always open, has no working facial muscles, so she can't smile or show expression. She does giggle a lot though & I make sure I let her know that I notice it.

Last night after I walked back with my riders & their parents,(my next group was late so I went to see why) all of a sudden this same little girl stopped, and ran back to me for another goodbye hug! Well, I guess I've been adopted!:D

Then my late group started to come out the side door (quite a few metres away), first the horses, two beautiful 15+ chestnut geldings, all decked out in their english gear. The two little girls' eyes suddenly went huge & an amazed "wow" came out of them. They were enthrawled by the majestic horses before them. "They are soooo beautiful", "They are sooo huge!", "Who rides them?"

I told them they were the horses for my next class and two young adults rode them & they would soon come out. First the young lady comes out in her black breeches & shiny tall black riding boots, her own helmet on & black leather gloves. She was accompanied by her side walker.

Next has a stocky young man, dressed in his dark blue breeches, dark zip up NYPD police jacket (he's fascinated by police figures & dreams about being one) & helmet on. He also was accompanied by his side walker.

My little girls were so in awe at the parade happening in front of them. I couldn't believe the feeling I had inside. These little girls were me when I was their age looking at what they hope they will be when all grown up.

Yeah, being an instructor is now what I hoped it was going to be.

Often people tell me they saw me in my truck driving somewhere with a smile on my face. And ask me why? I tell them: "Was it Monday or Wednesday? Oh I was probably thinking about my riders.";)

Last edited:
awwww that's so cute! :) I lead a child at my RS every saturday who has some issues with movement and speech a bit and she's so amazing I just can't help but smile all the time I'm with her and I'm also a tad bit possessive:eek: Everyone else is forbidden to lead her!

That's great :) I'm in awe of what you do... you deserved that hug and I hope you have many more special moments like that :)

Thank you:eek: I wouldn't trade it for the world! My husband complains that I put in too many hours in comparisson to how much I'm paid but I told him that if I wasn't doing this, I'd be spending money on something else, not getting a cent back & probably not be as fulfilling.:)

What a lovely story LMS, you should be proud to have such a positive effect on so many people's lives:)

newrider.com