what are your irrational fears?

Non horsey fear is spiders and bigger beetles. If I think about I know we have nothing in this country to make me have such an out of proportion reaction. Since having Esme I hide it and make myself deal with them so I don;t pass this onto her. Despite the fear I could never kill one.

Horsey wise, it's riding in enclosed spaces and being watched. I can deal with anything on hacks, nothing phases me but ask me to school in a school then I'm a mess. :redface:

Petrified of worms and snakes. :cold:
Cant stand what is called the 'spur' road near me, a bypass that goes up to Ringwood, I always feel so aprehensive on it and will always choose the long way round instead.
Horsey wise falling off on to a hard surface like a road, had my colly wobble feeling like i get going on the spur road the other day and didnt want to ride, pushed myself to go out and wey hey horrendous fall onto tarmac and no riding for 3-4 months...................
:stomp:
Maybe some of our irrational fears are not quite so irrational, my daughter took me to the horse store on sunday as i cant drive, she took me up that road and I broke down in floods of tears, - :frown: :(

Spiders and .....

hacking, yep - I'll ride round a showground and ride around my field (6acres) but I'm still a bit irrational about hacking, even when Harvey IS being good.

I don't know why, not even had any accidents out hacking in recent years really

FM - how do you ever get on that horse of yours with all those fears?!?!

I am scared of heights, but only certain situations, I can cope with tall buildings and flying...but I realised this weekend that standing on an 8ft high window ledge was too much for me, though sitting on it was not a problem! Driving through canyon country in the US was NOT an enjoyable experience for me, and I look like I have fallen out with my family in most of the photos as I wouldnt go near the edge.

I don't particularly like enclosed spaces. I always knew I didn't really like them, then when I was younger a colleague once shut me in the milk fridge at work for a laugh...he was not laughing when I emerged absolutely hysterical! My worst fear is being buried alive, if for any reason I can't be cremated then I WILL have a victorian style bell attached to my coffin...no really!

Oh, I really don't like people dressed up in the streets...Holywood was not an enjoyable experience for me. I think these people can sense my fear.

Horsey wise, I am scared of being in a stable with a horse who spooks and freaks out and I get trapped. I wish all the stables at my RS just had a rope instead of a door. Having had it instilled into me as a child I will never comfortably walk behind the back end of a horse, so I will make life harder for myself and take any alternative route available, I also dont particularly walking along a row of stalls, or combing a horses tail.

Non Horsey Fears...

-Dying before my time.
-Cliff Edges
-Broken Bones
-Being trapped in a burning house
-Being locked in very small spaces
-Talking infront of large amounts of people

Horsey Fears...

-Being rolled on
-Being reared with
-Being trampled on in paddock

I really dislike fire, and ladders. I'm fine with heights but it's ladders I don't trust. :giggle:

Horsey fears, possibly not irrational, but I am terrified of being crushed.
I have been crushed and rolled on by a horse and crushed in a horsebox, so I have a good reason to be scared of being crushed in my opinion :giggle:

FM - how do you ever get on that horse of yours with all those fears?!?!

Auch, I guess they can't be that big if I'm still riding, enough for me to just be aware and careful.

Irrational fears - people's feet touching me. Hate that. Now that is irrational as when have you ever had anyone do any damage with their feet just touching you?

Have a strange irrational fear of Storm and Joe escaping when I am leading them to and from their field - even when OH is leading Joe! (They can both be downright silly and hard to handle, I fear one day they will get the better of us and get themselves stuck in the cattle grids)

I also have a stupid fear of Storm running away with me out hacking and bucking. She does this (the bucking I mean) when very excited out hacking, so far so good (meaning I've stayed on) but it does rather put me off. OH says she won't do it again, but he's not the one riding her!!!!

Complete phobia about going backwards and ending up with Storms back end tangled in the barbed wire fencing belonging to the neighbours. Silly, cos I don't put either of us in that position, just fear that one day she will be out of control!

Other silly phobias I have are eating in front of people and getting my teeth done. They keep me awake at night (literally) so I try and focus on nice things to forget about them. Bring on the yellow van with square wheels to cart Trewsers away........!!

Just thought of another one - this will really ensure that somebody comes to collect me and take me away....
I have a fear I will forget HOW TO DRIVE when in the car alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pathetic or what??????????????? Downright bonkers. I turn the stereo up and sing when it happens, but I wonder what would happen if I forgot??????

Non Horsey Fears...

-Dying before my time.
-Cliff Edges
-Broken Bones
-Being trapped in a burning house
-Being locked in very small spaces
-Talking infront of large amounts of people

Horsey Fears...

-Being rolled on
-Being reared with
-Being trampled on in paddock

Oooops all three of your horsey fears have happened to me in the last 3 years :wink:

I have thankfully lived to tell the tale.

Horsey fears - My fear is weird because i have implants (the boob kind:redface::redface:) i always have a fear of falling off, landing on my chest and puncturing one. I know this is highly unlikely but it doesn't stop me being fearful of it.

Other thing that makes me jumpy is when leading a horse and it falls behind you, then trots to catch up, i always imagine them rearing behind you and landing on my shoulders! :frown:

Own fears

Losing my children
Dying before my children are old enough to fend for themselves
Society and the nasty people who are in it today.

Just thought of another one - this will really ensure that somebody comes to collect me and take me away....
I have a fear I will forget HOW TO DRIVE when in the car alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pathetic or what??????????????? Downright bonkers. I turn the stereo up and sing when it happens, but I wonder what would happen if I forgot??????

Oh dear, this has actually happened to me, and more than once...:redface: It happens at traffic lights - I usually leave the car in gear and leave the clutch in, with the other foot on the brake, but every once in a while I put the car in neutral and put the handbrake on, and when the lights change I sit there like a lemon wondering how to drive....:unsure: I always remember again very quickly, but it seems like an age when there's people behind waiting for you to move....

:help::help:

We do all have a lot of fears don't we :unsure:

Spiders is an irrational fear I've had for a long time. I'm not as bad as I used to be (no more dreams/nightmares), but I still hate 'em!

I don't like quarrys :frown: I think it's the sheer size and ugliness.. they make me go cold.

Horse fears... well, I have many. Horse falling over seems to be a common one and I worry about that too.....

Empty swimming pools - they give me the heebie-jeebies, and I have nightmares about them.....

Decapitation - can't bear to even think of someone without a head - another recurring nightmare....

Horsey fears: anything - am a total wuss. Have a great fear of being trampled, of being thrown, of falling off onto tarmac, of being bolted with, rearing, bucking........

Goodness, I really do need therapy...:ninja:

Horsey fears: none really, I love them so much I am an irrational optimist!

Non horsey: I hate fire and the sound of gas lighting (since a gas oven exploded in my face when I was 14) and since I read about it I have been afraid that a burglar might put our cat in the freezer.

Oh dear, how much space do we have, lol.

RATS..............I absolutely abhor them, the fastest you would ever see
me move is if somebody spotted a Rat........I was known, not that many
years ago to leap over a 5 bar gate.......must have been a sight cos its
still talked about now:giggle:

I am 'OK' with Bridges, not overly keen and glad to get to the other side
but am always relieved when we reach it.

I do have a fear of coming off out hacking and Horse taking off.........
NIGHTMARE

I am also one that cannot stand anything around my neck, polo necks are a definate NO NO and if somebody ever grabbed me
round the neck from behind I am sure I would immediately pass out !

A 'RING' OF JUMPS.........I always get lost !!!! The more I try to learn
the 'route' the more I mess it up..............however, solved now by NOT
Jumping, lol. xxx

Last edited:
newrider.com