What is the skinny on POOP!!

Drm2Go

Dreamin' with Sugar
Aug 1, 2005
California, USA
Hey ya'll quick question. My neighbor was talking about poop color the other day and to tell you the truth, turns out I do not know much about it. I know to look for worms, that diarrehea is not good and too hard means not enough water.....but what about color.

She tole me the lighter the better. Meaning light brown!! I was taken aback because here I am with my two horses producing anywhere from very bright to darker colored green poopoos :) and I had no idea that one color could be better than another.

She had indicated that the greener it was the more portein they had and that it could be too much!!!

Has anyone else heard this, have any ideas on what colo it should be or has any atricles, info etc!!

Let's get the skinny on POOP shall we!! :) hahah this could turn into an interesting thread huh!!?? :) Thanks guys!!

Well my mare has a broken bowel and liver.. so for a good while her poo's were toxic yellow!!! it was a bit scary but i filled her up with good quality forage and gave her D-TOX and its sortd her out!

Colour of poop will depend to some extrent on what you are putting in, if you put in lots of fresh green grass you will likely get bright green in return ;) where if you feed a light brownish coloured mix/grain (probably equally high in protien) with hay you will likely get light brown in return ;) :D
The key to poo telling you what is going on is the consistancy, balls of moist poo which break apart relatively easily are just what you are aiming for :D

Thanks guys. Thats what I think too, as long as it DOES come out, is not liquid and breaks into nuggets I am a happy camper!!! That makes me feel better thanks!!!

newrider.com