What makes a good School?

Good Schools

Just a thought, but perhaps there just aren't enough checks on registered schools? Only way to change things as Wally and Mossy mentioned is to get down and complain ... nothing will be done otherwise ... same in all walks of life in UK, sadly ...

Anne

What makes a good school ? - and how can you find one!

Hi everyone,

I have just read this thread with interest. I am currently trying to find a riding school having just moved to a new area and am finding it much more difficult than I expected.
All of the comments ring true when I think of my early riding years...I haven't actually ridden at a school for ten years being fortunate enough to have private lessons and had expected an improvement!
I have visited a number of establishments over the past few weeks and have not yet plucked up the courage to book a lesson. I feel that if I am not comfortable with things after watching a lesson, I certainly don't want to pay for one!
Most of the schools which I have visited have told me that they can only provide basic tuition and that if I want a group lesson I must join Novice Children. While not in itself a bad thing, the lesson content when observed was for obvious reasons aimed at the kids and ponies - I don't mean that to sound concieted, but lots of fun games were involved and not much in the way of teaching specifics, which is more what I'm after.
I can understand the point that it is difficult to balance varying levels of ability, which poses a problem for people like myself, falling in the middle of necessarily defined ability groups.
Add to this attitudes such as those described in this thread and its a wonder any of us end up riding at all!!
I am going to join my local riding club and hope to hear of a good school by word of mouth - it is a pity that BHS approval doesn't mean more than just good facilities.

Sorry to sound cynical but having seen a BHS approved place near me I question the good facilities qualification. It does not have sufficient stabling for all it's horses, an essential in our area ,the fields are a mess no all weather school and awful hacking. Just to put the icing on the cake I was told off for offering a cool horse a drink after an hours gentle ride. The logic was that "He has to work again today and will not work if he is full of water." He was not on immediate turn around. I thought that attitude went out with the ark. Their prices are horrendous
BHS of course did not want to know.

I did think that I should report my accident to someone but to be honest I didn't really know how to go about it. We regularly had people fall off in the lessons and as far as I know none of the accidents were ever recorded. I know mine wasn't and I don't think they even knew my surname to report it in my absence - even though I'd been riding there for nine months!!

Any advice?

The local office of the Health and Safety Executive wil be in the phone book. Give them a ring. The local authority may be interested as well. Your posts make my blood run cold. With my other hat on I am a volunteer with children. I have to know next of kin, emergency contacts etc. In the event of an accident how would they know who to contact. I am assuming they have to show an accident book at annual licensing. It must show a very good safety record!???. Words fail me totally........

The vet check for licensing purposes covers;

Accident book and proceedure,
Horse records, especially for those under 4years old.
HSE data sheets, (Data sheets have to be kept on site to cover every preparation used on the yard, including everything from saddle soap to wormer)
Booking proceedure,
Client records and contacts,
Medicine records and storage,
Tack inspection off the horse,
Tack fitted to the horse,
Soundness and health of the horse,
Shoes where fitted,
Stabling/buildings used to house horses,
Grazing adequate for horses kept on the yard,
Fencing in good order,

I can't remember what else the list goes on for ages.
The vet then reports to the local authority, it is then up to them to interperet and decide whether a licence is granted.
Whenever there is an accident requiring hospital visit they have to inform their insurance company and the HSE. I wonder who insures them? The insurance cert. has to be in a prominent place for all to see. There should also be a qualified first aider on site too. There should be green signs telling you where to find the first aid kit and who is the first aider in charge. There should be fire proceedure signs too, and fire extinguishers & water and sand buckets in prominent places.
The fire brigade should do checks too.
The regulations now are so stringent it makes yer toes curl.

This school does not, as far as I can see, meet this criteria either, and as I said they received their 'approval' after my fall! Should a school take your details before giving you a lesson? I've tried several schools and this has not happened once.

The school has to pay an annual membership fee and, on top, has to pay for an inspection by one of their (BHS/ABRS) inspectors. The approval is on a yearly basis. There should be a date below the approval certificate.

I wonder what the failure rate is?

[Edited by Wally on 30th Jun 2000 at 10:51 AM]

My two penneth on BHS schools

I went to a BHS approved school near me for several years - and I have to say that looking back now it was less than perfect. The instrutors were *so* rude you just wouldn't believe - to the point where some people dismounted during the *middle* of their lessons in the fields and basically said 's*d it' and went home. They let kids run the place - which is great except they didn't have the first clue about basic safety of equipment or safety of handling horses - safety should be the absolute paramount esp in a BHS yard and it wasnt - the kids also knew nothing about feeding and yet were allowed to measure out feed to all 50 odd horses - as a result a few horses got colic and one died and thats when I left. How it ever got an approval is beyond me. However a few years later it changed hands and ceased to be BHS approved but the improvement was dramatic - this new lady came in and sorted everyone out - she had no time for 'attitudes' and as a result the helpers were a lot more client friendly (she didnt let kids work for her - even for free). She got all the horses actually fit - when I went back I didnt recognise most of them! They went from fat and shaggy to having muscle and lovely sleek coats - they were actually schooled as well (one horse in particular was notoroius for being hard to move, I could never move him - I went back and he went like a dream). The lessons were better and more structured - you felt they actually *cared* about your progress - you always got praised if you did well. As a result of all this people flocked to the place and she was able to build a new floodlit arena for evening lessons. *Thats* what it should be about - I wonder when the BHS will catch on? If you ask me they seriously need to drag themselves out the 50's - and yet if anyone offers them a way to improve they just scoff or make some kind of excuse as to why its 'impossible'. They have the same attitude towards everything - its stale and they need to change if they want to stop losing members.

Most insurance stipulates that no one under the age of sixteen shall be left in charge of any horses or clients(even for free!). If they are their insurance company would not be best pleased. That's why the new owner put a stop to it probably.

I think the only legal way for anyone under 16 to "help" at a riding school, is if it is part of a properly run riding club activity, which is under adult supervision at all times. It may be possible, but strict work hours apply, and if I remember rightly you have to consult family doctors, teachers and parents for permission to employ minors. Again it's all very complicated and rules change regularly.

Funnily enough I've just since an advert for the aforementioned local riding establishment. On it was a picture which had obviously been taken about 20 years ago when the riding school was in it's hay-day. Some sort of show event had taken place and the school was all smart etc. This is not the case now-adays, although the school is exceptionally large, it is quite run-down.

I'm sure they could be had for mis-advertising

Sonia

newrider.com