what the heck is mud fever?

angel advocate

Aug 15, 2000
Visit site
i was just wondering what the heck is mud fever? I was reading some messages heer about it and i am at a loss....I know it has something to do with mud on the feet but other than that i dunno..does it cause a condition with the feet?what does it cause and what are the symptoms?I know my horse has some scabbies arouns his hairline to his hooves is that from mud?

Mud fever, mud rash, greasy heel, grease, are all terms for the same thing. It can happed to any horse, thin skinned animals such as T'breds and Arab types are more prone.

It is caused by wet, dirty conditions. The skin becomes infected and will be sore and scabby. The only treatment is to keep mud to a minimum, wash and thoroughly dry legs and heels when wet and apply some sort of antiseptic barrier cream.

thanks alot Wally i was suspecting that was what it was on his legs it seems to be healing now.......the scabbies and sores were wierd but my vet gave me some cream and it seems to be working i just wanted to clarify it.......thanks alot.....

newrider.com