St. Clairsville, Ohio
Visit site
hello,
my (hopefully) soon to by mare really fusses with her
head. i rode her at night, when everyone else was
getting fed. they said that she normally wasn't that
fussy, but she did mess w/it a little bit. i am wondering
if it might be a problem with the bit. they are using a
rather large egg-but snaffle. if anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

possibilities

The bit could be too big/small for her mouth. When was the last time her teeth were checked or floated? What were you doing with your hands? Could you ride her with out moving them more than inch or so? Maybe her usual rider has very quiet hands. Try staying very quiet with your hands next time you ride.

If you are looking at this horse to buy, definitley have a vet check done. Also have an experienced rider ride the horse. The owners may say she normally doesn't do this, but possibly she always does- maybe that's why they're selling her.

Good Luck, I'm also shopping for another horse.

Thanks for the input. I personally felt that the bit was too large for her. However, they aren't her actual owners, she is at an adoption farm, and one of the volunteers has a special affinity for her. She is the one who normally rides her. After I got off of her, Raven (volunteer)asked to get on. She, too, mentioned that she was really fussing that night. I was not informed of when her teeth were last floated. so, who knows?

Yeah, I got to thinking about that...I think that might have been part of the problem. Also, she was in heat, and there was a stallion in the stall (4ft away) from her who was throwing a fit. Also, when she was on the track, she was abused w/a crop, so she is extremely afraid of whips. When I was bringing her out of her stall, a girl was holding a whip, and she got scared, and got the saddle caught on the side of the stall. When she came out onto the cement aisleway, (she had shoes on) she started slipping...ending up within a neck's length of the stallion. I think she was just a bit nervous.

newrider.com