What to do?

Urgh. Bruising mostly gone but heel looks to be falling apart. There was just the one open bit and now there is 3. The heel also looks saturated which it hasn't been. Sent farrier pics and he just said looks like heel is saturated. I'm wondering if the white bit is going to come off. As it seemed to be improving I wanted to stop fussing with it and I didn't put sudocrem on yesterday or wash it last night. Seems that was a mistake.

Sudocrem to the max tomorrow? Dry dressing, vet wrap and medical boot? Leave in which is last resort as he will kick off? Have gone with liberal spray of iodine tonight to try and dry it out. Call vet tomorrow? Or cry in the corner?
PXL_20240408_171247209.jpgPXL_20240408_171308255.jpg

I should say the farrier saw him in Friday. He said there was no abscess. He has walloped himself really hard and it was badly bruised. The actual good wasn't bruised or any signs of an abscess or anything amiss. If he hadn't had an over reach boot on it could have been a nasty wound. I sent him those pics tonight where he said it looked waterlogged.

If you can dry it out overnight and then put a dry dressing on which is waterproof then I'd do that. Yes ideally he'd stay in, but if he's going to have tantrums then there's a real risk of him striking into it and doing more damage.

I'd guess - and it's just a guess - that where the skin is compromised it's ore prone to soaking up water. I wouldn't rely on sudocrem to waterproof it, any time he's out I'd have a dry dressing on it then leave it opn to the air in the stable where he's on clean dry bedding.

If I leave over reach boots on Jess she gets the white waterlogged periople, I normally just leave them off for a few days to dry it out but that’s not ideal if he has done that through them!
Maybe sticking something super absorbent on overnight (a nappy) will dry it enough to then be able to tolerate the damp in the day?

He hasn't had the over reach boots on since he did it. I was worried about the mud getting stuck under. He dosnt normally wear them. I had put on after he had lost the other shoes, even tho that was ridden in the mud rather than in the field. So a complete lucky chance that they were on. The only difference is I didn't put the sudocrem on the last 2 days and didn't clean the mud off last night. It had been looking good and really improved but these 2 new raw bits have started. Think I'm scared the whole thing is going to Slough (?) off.

Ive seen similar on my sheep with abcesses that burst.

That looks like dead skin to me. Probably where an abcess was underneath. It possibly will eventually open a hole and the skin peel away. I wouldnt be too worried. If it does open a hole id just spray some purple spray or iodine in it.

My mums got a leg ulcer currently. Had for 8 months. Her skin around the ulcer also looks like that where the dressings have got saturated. We leave uncovered each day to dry out.

I’ve never seen it slough off from moisture, and when Jess went through her couple of years of constant abscesses hers looked like that a lot!

Didn’t you have the wet snow a couple of days ago? Maybe that played into it more than the lack of sudocrem?

Oh goodness yes the snow. It was really sloppy. Vet was sure it wasn't an abscess but I'm wondering if there was such a deep bruise it has damaged the skin and this will become less viable?

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but this was one of Jess’ nasty abscesses, she had an almost matching one in the other side of the same foot at the same time 🥺
DSC_0417_Original.jpeg
And this dried up and grew out without any further issue. We didn’t even need to put a shoe on to stabilise it as it grew down.

So really just to say they’re amazing, and the foot does cope amazingly well even when it looks horrible, and it always looks so much worse when they’re water logged.

It does look a lot like bruising from an impact, as opposed to an abscess. Have you given him some arnica to help take it out?

No I hadn't thought about arnica. Will do that. The bruising is much reduced both vet and farrier just said it will take time. It's almost there but I just set off down a new panic route when it looked odd yesterday.

Reactions: Jessey
Arnica is great, I know it shouldn't work but it really seems to help, and better late than never.

I can't imagine how many of those tiny little pills you would need to give to a horse!

newrider.com