Where are you?,jump ideas

Jumper

Dec 30, 1999
Lancaster,SC USA
Visit site
My horse is a lot of the time foucused on something other than me.How do I get him to cocentrate on me? :)
Also,I need new ideas for jumps to spice up our courses.Does anyone have any ideas? :p

I'm taking our Christmas trees out to our jumping arena to jump over. A great 4-way jump is a "V". Put the two jump poles on a bucket or barrel (depending on level). The Lucinda Green clinic I went to had all levels using this jump at various heights, in combinations, etc. I absolutely love it! Do you event?

In one of my Practiacal Horseman magazines, they showed an article on how to piece together oil cans or barrels to the side of a jump standard, which you can then paint and decorate. It makes your jumps look different and bright and exciting. Or could also try making your own water jump by buying one of those portable water pools in horse catalogs and place that underneath a jump standard. Wa la. :) You have an instant water jump.

What about taking a tarp down for your horse to jump? Making sure it is secured with 2 poles but it makes an interesting jump and I've seen many horses refuse it on a Show jumping course!

Kristy

I use a tarp for a water jump, well, actually it's one of those baloons that people use in the winter to keep the tarp on their pool from sinking down into the frozen water. It had a hole in it so I confinscated it from the trash before it got dumped. My riding instructior used a real tarp folded up so that it was what ever length she wanted it. I've also used hay bails under a pole for a jump (between jump standards) I've put berils under a regular vertical, I've also done a cross rail over bails (you know the ones that make an X) At one point, because my horse tended to be a bit spooky about new looks to jumps, I riged a blanket over a vertical, sicuring it on the ground to make it look solid. I've used tires as wings for my jumps, if I wanted them, and also used them under the jump for something new and posibly scary for him to jump (both lieing flat and standing up). Have you ever seen some of the jumps that the big cross country jumpers jump, I say one that was a whale (avertisment for sea world) one of those horns in the old days you put gun power in, and a picknic table with wood statues of bares called teadybear's picknick that they had to jump. Not to mention all the bright colors. If you have cation cones, stick them beside or under the jump or pained paint cans or anything like that. I figued I'd try to make as many scary jumps as I could so that when I get going biger, he won't be so spooky (didn't put them up all at once, and I lowered the jumps when I did.) I almost stole my mom's flower bed once, you know one of the ones that are portable (she caught me :eek :) Anyways. You can make jumps out of pritty much anything you can think of. use your emagination, and a little bit of cosion, you don't want to scare him out of his wits :eek:, and you don't want to have him jumping something that could be dangerous if he misplaces a foot. have fun :cool:

newrider.com