Whip

random2

Alyssa(Groom, jump, RIDE)
May 7, 2000
America
expage.com
When I hand Gallop the schoolhorse that I ride, I give her a firm swat with the whip. MY instructor says that is okay, but I am not so sure? Please tell me if I should use a whip or other means of asking her to go faster?

Oooh, I don't like the sounds of that one there. I like to see the whip as a reminder rather than an aid. The horse should know that when you give the cue, what it's time to do. Have you tried using your seat or legs and then seeing what the horse does? If not, you should try, and if the horse doesn't know, then try the crop to HELP her.

My horse sees the stick as a bit of a punishment, so I rarely need to use it. She gets a swat if she's unneccissarily fooling around and being a twit, but that's it.

Med :cool:

Yes i agree this is definatly wrong.
You do not give aids with the whip, thats what your legs are for. You are right to be concerned.
I find alot of people dont use whips anymore but if you do use one it should be just a back up to your leg.
Have a word with your instructer and say your not happy.

I think you are right to be concerned about this too... I carry a crop in my lessons but I try not to use it. Never replace the leg aids with the stick, I know its an easy thing to do and thats why I try not to carry a crop whenever I can... the crop/whip should be used to back up a leg aid and even then it should be a tap never a smack (horses are sensitive, he will feel this) I don't think its right that your instructor condones it - you should be learning to use your legs to move the horse not just relying on an artificial aid - the whole point of you going to lessons is to learn about these things, anyone can whack a horse with a stick and make it go. I would bring this up with her and say that you are not comfortable with using the stick, she should teach you to squeeze with your calves or to be using your legs to 'brush' the coat fowards along with using your seat and hands to make the horse go foward - if she doesnt want to know and continues to tell you to smack it and you still are not comfortable then I would just go somewhere else.

Whip

Well, it is hard to answer this... If you asked her with your legs and other aids correctly, and your mound did not respond, then I would say that the whip was used properly for the most part (where did you "swat" him/her? were you using other aids at the time?). You should NEVER start straight out whacking a horse with a whip to get them going. I would not second guess your instructor though. She/he is probably very experienced and was PROBABLY right that you were ok to use it the way you did, though you may want to read up a little on how and when to use a whip to see if in your opinion it was right or wrong.

Whip

I agree about the use of a whip .... if you whack a horse every time you ride it, I think this teaches the horse to be afraid of you ... no way to build a relationship! Just carrying a whip should be enough, and no more than a light tap in the right place, if he's being a bit stubborn.

Spurs are another of my hates .... I know that other far more experienced riders say that they are fine if the rider knows what they are doing .... but I've heard and read some horrific tales of injuries caused by spurs ... makes me shudder!

Loved your quote Rebecca ... says it all for me .... :)

Anne

I am still too much of a rookie to be trusted with a crop, but last fall I took a few lessons (Western) and was told to smack the horse's shoulder with the free end of the reins when he became stubborn. I did it twice, but it felt wrong to me. I decided my instructor was teaching me to be a more aggressive rider than I really wanted to be and switched lesson barns. When the mare I ride now refuses to do something, it's almost always because I haven't asked correctly, or I confused her earlier and her patience with me is at an end. Of course, I'm not suggesting this last is true in your case - if you're galloping, you're certainly WAY more advanced than I am! - but realizing my own ineptitude has made me really happy that I refused to continue to strike my former horse teacher.

newrider.com