Who has no where to hack/ limited hacking?

*Goldfish*

Oct 31, 2008
I'm hoping to buy a pony soon, have found the perfect yard, except one thing the hacking is very limited. There is a big field you can ride in, thats it apart from lots of road work to nowhere. I'm not really a hacker though so I think I would cope. Any opinions, whats your hacking like, do you cope?

our hacking is all roadwork, with occasional fields in autumn/winter that are set aside or stubble.

we dont have a school either :)

I've got the perfect yard 10mins from home...however the hacking isnt brilliant
mainly roadwork though might come across a field open not in use but i dont mind the limited hacking...well it suits at the moment

Good hacking would be essential for me, if I were to be considering a move.

i intensely dislike schooling and 'arena' riding - for me it smacks of using a treadmill or an exercise bike, instead of running, walking or cycling to 'somewhere'.

I also think that regular long hacks are a good replacement for the sort of movement that seems to be instinctual to wild and feral equines, which instinct is difficult for them to satisfy in the modern environment of stables, small paddocks, strip grazing, hand feeding and so on. It is good for both their mental and their physical health at almost any stage of their life, and it is not difficult to incorporate schooling exercises into hacks.

it's also a great way to observe the world around you and get to know the local area and people.

i need to have some kind of hacking, even if its round the block, because its nice too get some freash air and when you get bored of the school lol x
but we have really god hacking no roadword is needed if you dont want too do any, we have a track that goes round the yard with a big feild at the ed, we have a commen on the otherside, and if you do tiny bit of roadwork (crossing the road) you can go too a really nice comen and if you want too d roadwork you can go to weild park :D

We're lucky as we're surrounded by pretty good hacking. I'd hate not to have access to decent hacking as I feel my horse really needs a good blast every so often to keep him sane. It also give us a bit of variety in our work and keeps him fit enough to do cross country - sadly it doesn't seem to work on me as I'm usually out of breath by fence 4!

I have only road hacking unless we box up and go to a friends yard. We have a little mud lane where we can go for a canter but other than that its all roads

I went to try out a horse a few years back when I was at uni, they had a small school but otherwise that was it. It was on the edge of staines and the only place you could ride is on roads! I guess growing up in cornwall I couldnt quite believe it! Luckily found another horse else where

newrider.com