Who takes care of your RDA horses?

laura jeanne

Jan 7, 2004
USA
Visit site
I volunteer at our RDA and we are starting up a program where experienced people can go during the week and care for the horses. I think it will be grooming, maybe some training and exercising.

I'm just wondering if anyone else does this and what they do exactly! I have volunteered to help set up the program.

Thanks

We do this at our RDA. We have a system called share the care, where we allow experienced volunteers to ride the RDA horses. The pay a certain amount each month which goes towards the running of the RDA & basically it's what you have said in your thread. It's like loaning an RDA horse, you ride them outwith RDA for excersice also school them too. We even take ours to competitions.

If you want any more info, just get in touch with me.

For our group, 2 of the horses are owned by the RDA group itself, then the others used are all privately owned so ridden/looked after by their owners. The 2 owned by the RDA are sort of group looked after by people on the yard. Anyone on the yard whose a proficient rider can ride them if they get permission from the trustees, and when I was a trustee I used to spend a lot of my time trying to find people to come and ride and look after the ponies (sort of like a part loan thing, surprisingly didn't find anyone suitable - you'd have thought people would have leapt at the chance!).

It's riding for the disabled.

8 - I know, I can't wait to start! What's wrong with people?? lol

Of course I spend loads of time already with my RS horse. Right now I am teaching him to give me his foot after picking it out and let me put it on the ground. Today after my lesson we went exploring the whole yard and stopped to meet lots of horses and walked a little way on the trails. He followed me with his nose right by my shoulder the whole way. He's incredibly sweet!

newrider.com