Why do you hate Wintec?

I was always very happy with my wintec. But from what I've heard they fit TB types better due to the shape.

I liked it for my comfort and Forests. I only changed as my aunt offered me her leather saddle as her horse had retired and she had no use for it.

But I can't bear to part with my wintec just in case I need it :eek:

I found it made me feel "perched" on the saddle rather than in it. My leg position was awful in them too, my legs were too far back in a Wintec - I know it wasnt my legs because my RI changed it for her saddle one day and my leg position improved immediately.

I have two of the things in the house too, cant sell mine for love or money:mad:

I have two of the things in the house too, cant sell mine for love or money:mad:

Really,have you tried e-bay?? They always seem to sell really well on there and for good money.

Always thought that kind of proves a point about the wintecs really,they usually hold their value,and always seem to be loads of people wanting them,that must say something about them I would have thought.

Really,have you tried e-bay?? They always seem to sell really well on there and for good money.

Always thought that kind of proves a point about the wintecs really,they usually hold their value,and always seem to be loads of people wanting them,that must say something about them I would have thought.

I've found saddles aren't selling at the moment either. Not sure why, but I'm holding on to mine until the market for saddles picks up a bit :)

I've had a Wintec in the past, but when my old horse began to get too wide as he grew, it no longer fitted. I didn't have any bother with it though. Very useful as he grew being able to widen the gullet.

Like all saddles, where one brand will fit a horse really well the same brand may not fit as well on a similar shaped horse. It's just a horse thing!

I tried a Heather Moffat treeless saddle which pony HATED, but I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand just because of this experience.

It's about trying things out and seeing how you get on first,which may mean many different brands.

As others have said, if a saddle moves about it probably doesn't fit and maybe the fault lies with the fitter rather than the saddle.

My old share pony was in a wintec, it fitted fine and he was 100% happy in it.

Thats not much help, but not all people have negative views :eek:

hot.to.trot- so you have only experienced one wintec, which wasn't comfy and slipped? Why generalise? Or have you had the same experiences with more than one?

i have ridden in one other one, which i only sat in for a minuite so??

i can only comment on what i have tried

the one i have used gave me no support, and the straps have started ripping and breaking

may i also add these saddles are looked after reguarly and clenaed every week

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a wintec poorly fitted to one of my horses which caused some damage however I ride another horse in a wintec dressage and love it, for me personally I don't like the advertising that leads people to think one size fits all as such but they are good for some horses just not the lardy barrell I used to own ;)

I have to admit I did really like my Wintec VSD.

I am blessed with a padded bum so didn't find seat comfort an issue. I liked the fact that my legs felt in the right position in the VSD but even in the GP I had before that I felt they were ok.

I will go along with the fact that the texture of the synthetic made it difficult to clean.

The worst thing is that on the 2 CAIR saddles I have had experience with, neither had symetrical panels and had compressed badly. If compression like like occures and is normal then surely that makes the panels rock hard and CAIR system wont provide maximum comfort and shock absorption for your horse as advertised? :confused:

My flat backed, no withered pony came with a lovely wintec gp but it didn't fit so I am selling it but have a Wintec wide and he is going great in it. I love it, it is really comfy.

I've had 2 Wintecs, never had any real problems with either so I've no problem with them, I would be lying if I said they would be my first choice (purely because I prefer leather to look at), but they're affordable and I find them comfortable and like the fact that they're adjustable-to an extent, I am perfectly aware that they cannot be made to fit every horse/a horse that has changed drastically in shape. On a similar vein, my Wintec GP which I had for Skips when I first bought him I had to sell because it stopped fitting him when he changed shape, he'd changed so drastically it wasn't able to be adjusted to fit him, that's fair enough, it served me well for the time it fitted him (a considerable amount of time) and I never noticed any problems in his back etc. He developed a lot with it. :)

I now have a Wintec Isabell dressage saddle for Soda. I love it! Very comfortable and well-designed. My only current gripe with it is that Soda has developed so much and broadened that it's currently too tight for him, so obviously I'm not riding him in it atm...but that's the beauty of the adjustability of it. Saddler has said it should be easy to widen whilst ensuring that it will still fit him.

What I find interesting is that there are numerous complaints about Wintec, but not many about Bates (I also have a Bates GP for Soda and love it!)...people seem to forget that Bates are made by the same company as Wintec and made in the same way, they have the same basic shape...without meaning to have a dig at anyone, I myself prefer leather to synthetic...but are the problems occasionally due to the fact that people automatically see synthetic materials as being 'cheap' and because they are cheaper, therefore 'badly made', whereas Bates saddles are fairly expensive (well, middle of the range for saddles) and leather so therefore viewed as automatically 'better' when they are in fact the same(ish)? I don't know and I'm not trying to be patronising, just genuinely curious. :)

I've had no problems with my Wintecs, what I have a real problem with is my Thorowgood which I personally find immensely uncomfortable and puts me in a terrible position whilst giving me no security over fences, or at all really. Plus I really don't think it is necessarily a great fit on high withered horses, despite the fact that it's advertised towards fitting them. Doesn't mean I think nobody should use one again. I'd just like to change mine asap, and will be doing so soon with any luck, but I shan't be calling for everyone to destroy their T4 saddles because I'm sure some people (many people actually!) love theirs, I just happen to think I'd be more secure riding my horse bareback than in that particular saddle! :p But that's just me, it's not the opinion of a lot of other people. Unfortunately I think the opinions of a few people have influenced the opinions of the masses with regards to Wintecs, and the fact that they are advertised very much towards being able to fit any horse because they are 'adjustable' and some people don't have the sense to realise that does not mean one saddle from a 12.2hh pony and a 16.2 TB, when people find they are not 'that' adjustable they get angry about it! T4s don't fit all TBs but you don't see everyone complaining about it and vowing nevcer to use them again! :p (I mean that with no disrespect to anyone on here btw, but just from everything I've heard/read, both on here and in RL).

My saddler has told me to stay away from wintecs.

He's had so many of them that have caused problems for horse and rider.

I got rid of mine as no matter how many times we tried to make it comfortable for Lady, it wasnt working.

Bought a Thorowgood Hi-wither, and it fitted lovely.

:)

My saddle is a wintec 500 dressage saddle.

I love it. Everyone who has ridden in it has commented on how comfy it is, and most of all, my lad loves it. It doesn't slip, isn't a funny shape and is just generally a lvoely saddle.

When I can afford to, I will buy a Fylde saddle, but as of now, the synthetic suits us both just fine.

I also love how deep the seat is on my wintec, it makes me feel 100% more secure and I don't slop about etc

Would definitly buy another one.

ETA: I've had 2 leather saddles before this, neither of which he went particularly well in, and both of which I felt about as safe as a zebra in a lions den. They were awful and slippery and I just hated them. When I get a real leather saddle I am tempted to get a suade seat as I can't stand how slippery they can be. My synthetic is light (can carry it with one arm) and I just love it :)

What I find interesting is that there are numerous complaints about Wintec, but not many about Bates (I also have a Bates GP for Soda and love it!)...people seem to forget that Bates are made by the same company as Wintec and made in the same way, they have the same basic shape...without meaning to have a dig at anyone, I myself prefer leather to synthetic...but are the problems occasionally due to the fact that people automatically see synthetic materials as being 'cheap' and because they are cheaper, therefore 'badly made', whereas Bates saddles are fairly expensive (well, middle of the range for saddles) and leather so therefore viewed as automatically 'better' when they are in fact the same(ish)? I don't know and I'm not trying to be patronising, just genuinely curious. :)

Ah, now I am not a fan of Bates either - Like the concept, but find the leather hard and plasticky, seat uncomfortable, finding a flocked bates saddle is not as easy as it could be and like the wintecs I think there is better quality available for the price . I know that their webbers are very well recommended, but I don't get on with the t-bar thing :rolleyes: But then I know that people swear by bates and won't have anything else. Same as Amerigo, Ideal and Stubben *shrug*

Being married to a saddler and saddle fitter, I have lost track of the number of horses with issues caused by the bad fit of Wintecs. They are not designed to fit more than a few types of horse, and really do not fit most horses very well.
They are also of a very poor quality, and seem to be forever needing repairs.
They appear to retain their value due to the fact that they are cheap (the biggest draw) and the fact they are seen as adjustable so will fit ANYTHING. No more true than any other adjutstable make, but will certainly not, like anyother saddle, fit everything

I hate the synthetic material. Feels off to me, looks bad, uncomfortable. I've never gotten the "it's so much easier to take care of!!!" angle. My leather tack isn't that hard to take care off. Spray it with Leather New every now and then and store it properly. No big deal.

I love Bates saddles though and I'd have one if I could afford it.

Never really had an issue with Wintecs, I'm not very keen at all on Albions, quite like Ideals although I think the stirrup bars are too far forward and I love Falcon Saddles.

No idea on fit though as I don't have my own horse, this is all by what I find comfortable

Having looked into saddles extensively recently in the quest for one that fits my cob i have found a fantastic saddle fitter who took the time to explain the history behind most of the brands, where they are manufactured, quality control etc. Having also seen inside at the mess that is neatly covered in leather but still feels awful for the horse and how asymmetrical panels can be and wonky stirrup bars there are several very well known makes of both synthetic and leather saddles that will be going absolutely nowhere near my horse in future- sadly the wintecs do fit into this category for me!
Having seen the huge difference in my boys movement in his new saddle compared to the old one that "fit fine" according to several saddlers i now at least have something to compare with and will know full well when his saddle is uncomfortable in future- he is so happy- his outline is instant and consistent and his shoulder movement is to die for! Only thing that has changed is the saddle!
I'm sure for some people they are fine and i'm certainly not on a "i hate wintecs" bandwagon- the list of hate saddles is considerably longer than that!

newrider.com