Why is he coughing?

Shelby Williams

Jun 8, 2000
Visit site
Why is my horse coughing??

My horse has been coughing alot lately. When I was riding him the other day, I started to trot him. About ten feet later he was breathing hard and coughing. He coughed about three times this morning while I was outside (I was only outside for about five or ten minutes). Is he sick? Should I be riding him? PLEASE HELP!!

[Edited by Shelby Williams on 28th Jun 2000 at 05:44 PM]

Are you using a new batch of hay? Or moved pasture? Has he been in contact with strange horses recently? (Shows, new horse in yard etc) Has he had his innoculations up to date? Could be any of the above, don't let it go on, check it out with a vet.

In addition to what intouch has said, there is a lot of pollen around this time of year - this could cause coughing. My horse coughs occasionally when the pollen count is high - and normally when I'm suffering from hayfever!!

Normally its the dry weather/conditions that can bring on a cough, or dry hay etc. Try soaking or steaming any hay you give your horse - if you have stored your hay for a while it will become dusty.

Is your horse living out? Are you bringing him in occasionally for a rest? The dry conditions of a stable which hasn't been used for a while can also cause coughing. You can get a 'cough mixture' for horses which is available from tack shops.

It is possible that your horse has COPD. My horse has been diagnosed with it for three years now. It causes him to cough and breath heavily, especially in the summer months. Get your vet to examine your horse, and he will advise you on the best treatments. I use garlic and lots of herbal supplements in his feeds. I also keep him in the paddock for as long as possible and bed him on dust free shavings in a well ventilated stable. Hopefully your horse hasn't got COPD, but it sounds just like my horse's symptoms.

newrider.com