Wide v Narrow Ponies

I find riding my dad's HW cob horribly painful. So much so, that I would rather not ride than get on him :( My slender TB and my friend's Arab x are not so bad, so I do think that if you suffer with hip pain, the width of your horse can be a contributing factor.
I also have a lovely saddle for my TB, which I find more comfortable on my hips and lower back. How do you feel when you ride bareback? Do you think that your saddle is creating too much excess width without supporting your hips enough? I think, if I were in your position, I would look at this side of things first.

Do you have an RDA centre close to you? I was told a couple of years ago that I could take my horse along for an assessment by an RDA therapist who could advise me on any adjustments to my tack - unfortunately, while I had transport, I couldn't get the cash together to pay for the session, and now I have no trailer! But something like this might be beneficial for you?

Hip pain is one of the reasons I changed to Sidesaddle. I find it far more comfortable and my seat is much better. I can also do things I'd given up astride, eg jumping!

However, I have been out of the saddle for a few years, and would love to get back into it again, but finding riding schools which do Sidesaddle can be difficult!

Cheers, midori

Thanks for that advice. Will try bareback when I ride tomorrow (I am starting to ride on alternate days, to see if that helps control my pain) - always great fun getting on her, as she is so shiny and round! We do have a RDA Centre up the road, so will contact the lady there to see what she says. I am also going to go and ride a friend's narrow pony to see if that helps at all.

Ali xx

Your doctor is probably right. It is well known (British Association of Riding Schools) that older people are better taught on horses that are not too wide in the barrel.

I cant ride cob type horses. But it is not just width, it is the shape of the horses back - a wide flat back makes things worse. You may well be in pain after riding a broad backed cob. I always am. Both my lower back and left hip.
One riding school much recommended on NR turned me away as a dressage student recently because they didn't have a suitable horse. They taught mostly on cobs.
I started riding age 62 with a bad (degenerated) lower back which affects the nerves to one's lower body, especially my left hip and leg. Not the same as your hip problem but not so different. Left hip hurts most of the time.

The first riding school I went to taught me on a nice cob on which I habitually sat crooked, that is on the diagonal, with my right leg farther forward than the left. Most of us older people find it easier to take a long stride forward than to stretch our legs apart sideways. So if we are given a horse too wide for us, that is how our body adapts.

Next time you get on the horse have a look at your straightness - in every direction. Are you upright? Are you centred on the centre line of the horse from from to back? And are you sitting at right angles across the horse's centre line?

At my second riding school, a senior RI made them switch me from an Exmoor pony to a horse of 16.01 hands on which I did much of my learning to ride. The RI also ordered the staff to lengthen my stirrups. This could help you too. It puts more weight on your seat bones and less pressure on your hips.

It is a great nuisance not being able to ride cobs or wider horses, because it rules out so many otherwise suitable ones. But I am in pain after trying such horses and have learned to be firm about it.
The good side is that I do ride comfortably on some big horses. eml taught me on a horse of 17 hands and last week at another school, I was put on another.
A lot depends on the individual horse. If you are looking for a narrower pony, the love of my life is a Connemara cross. My cousin's Welsh pony, also looks rideable by me - but her Dales is too wide.

I cant advise you on the saddle. I have been fine in Western saddles, but my only hack in a treeless, (and on a mare too wide for my liking) like you I was in pain next day.

I hope this helps. I don't find it easy myself. because sometimes I can see a horse is too wide, sometimes, I need to get on and try, and sometimes I force myself to ride because a school wants me to, and then like you I am in bad pain. My standard is to say that if I am in such pain that I cant sleep properly at night, then I wont ride that horse again.

But moderation is also a factor. If you want to keep your Exmoor pony, you could consider the amount of riding you do and limit the time you spend in the saddle? I suffer if I canter in sitting seat too much, it is best to take a day's break before riding again? If I hack fast on four consecutive days or ride for two hours, I am worse off? So if you are riding endurance, I probably couldn't do that, regardless of the horse.

I too suffer from hip pain, and I strangely sometimes found the opposite - I could ride a podgy 14.1hh pony with no stirrups in all paces quite happily, yet had pain doing sitting trot and canter with no stirrups on the 16.2hh TB. This leads me to think that maybe it's not just the width of the horse that can be painful, but also the difference in gait between different horses. The TB had quite a bumpy trot compared to the pony. I also think for me there's an "optimum" wideness - I need some width to open my hips and stretch them out, which helps, but if I then move onto a very very wide cobby horse it becomes too painful as my hips are being stretched beyond their comfortable limit! Hmm does that make any sense?

Thanks for all the advice :) I have ridden a couple of narrower ponies (with treed saddles) and my pain was in fact worse afterwards. Frayne, although wide, is a very steady ride and I ride her bitless with what most people would consider a very loose rein, which is very relaxed and less strain on my shoulders etc. I am looking at alternative saddles/bareback pads - but I think it is just that anything increases my pain at the moment. The only answer for me is to restrict the amount of riding I do, which is so annoying as I really want to be doing long/fast rides. However, I can enjoy my ponies without riding (I do Parelli and have recently adopted a Mini Shetland through the RSPCA - the challenge with her at the moment is catching her!) and a short walk down the lanes is better than nothing.
Ali xx

I have to say... I do better on a wide horse,, like my grey Icelandic mare. Than a narrow one.. even with all the damage to my back and hips.
Her wide back makes me feel better.
Narrow horses hurt.

She is also super smooth and I know if she wasn't an Icelandic, I would not be riding. Body just can't handle a trotting breed of horse.

So it might be...that your horse's walk and trot is what is making you hurt. Not how wide it is.

I have one of my mini horses trained to cart and that is also an option if you want to do other things with your ponies. I have what is called a "Country Road Cart" and is as comfy as any Rolls!

I am lucky to have an Icelandic stud just up the road from me - and I went this week to see an older mare they are selling. Hoping to go back soon for a ride and will see if her paces helps with my pain levels.

With regards to driving, I actually find the sitting position and holding the reins/whip is difficult for me. I have found someone reasonably local who has just bought a SaddleChariot, so going soon to have a go on that.

Ali xx

Last summer I was kicked in the hip by one of the horse's at my old yard, ever since then I find riding my xx wide mare extremeley painful, so I can see the logic behind what your dr is saying. I can ride my narrow horse fine but I cant ride my mare for longer than half hour without being in agony. I hope you can find a solution, would be awful to have to sell your pony because of it.

I hope all goes well with the Icelandic horse try out!:D
I really couldn't ride anything else.

Can relate with the cart. Really does depend on the cart. "My country road cart" seat is set up just perfect for me...nicely padded cloth seat, back perfect height. I still can't sit normal but it doesn't matter with this cart.

My body just can't handle "easy entries" or like carts...to hard on my person.

This is before the Accident I had but you can still see the type of cart.
bmaggiewalkingdrivewaytowardsmarch05.jpg

bmaggieincartroadcloseupmarch05.jpg

I also have problems with my arms. Am lucky I had Maggie trained to voice long before I got hurt..because it makes a big difference. I still have the reins there if needed but I can give one arm or the other a break...so it makes it much easier.

Lovely piccies and that is the sort of pony I would like one day :) Interesting to see that you hold the reins with 2 hands. I have had lessons with BDS members (and a 'proper' instructor) and they stress the importance of holding the reins with one hand, whip in the other - which I really struggled with (my hands are stiff/painful a lot of the time). This put me off - and the pain I got from sitting in the carts (both 2 wheel and 4 wheel) - so haven't been back since.

I am not really sure about the Icelandic - not because of the pony (sorry, horse!!), but because it would have to involve selling Frayne. She is such a lovely pony and has come on a long way since I got her. She has her issues, but I am not the sort of person to give up easily. We went for a short hack yesterday (50 minutes - which is ok for me - increases my pain levels, but I can cope with it) and apart from some mild napping when she realised that I wanted to go down her least favourite road, she was very steady and good. I am back to riding in an Enduro Bridle, which is basically a rope halter with reins - and most of the time I was just holding the reins with one hand, and she would stop/turn with just the reins being lifted. As there are times when I don't ride for a week or more, I don't want to buy another pony that may end up standing in the field a lot.

With myself I find that my pain levels are just increased from any activity with the ponies - whether it is riding, or caring for them. The most sensible thing would be to give up alltogether, but I can't imagine life without them. So, I plan to keep them out 24/7 all year round (the elderly loan pony may have to go back to his owner in the autumn if he can't cope outside with lots of rugs) - working on hubby to buy me a shelter for the field. Otherwise they come in during the worst weather, but into a large barn which will be deep litter - and I continue to look for someone to help me out in return for free livery/hay/cash.

I am going to investigate an alternative saddle (trying sidesaddle and Western is my next option) - and hopefully the SaddleChariot idea will work out.

Life is certainly never simple!

Ali xx

Last edited:
I too suffer from hip pain, and I strangely sometimes found the opposite - I could ride a podgy 14.1hh pony with no stirrups in all paces quite happily, yet had pain doing sitting trot and canter with no stirrups on the 16.2hh TB. This leads me to think that maybe it's not just the width of the horse that can be painful, but also the difference in gait between different horses. The TB had quite a bumpy trot compared to the pony. I also think for me there's an "optimum" wideness - I need some width to open my hips and stretch them out, which helps, but if I then move onto a very very wide cobby horse it becomes too painful as my hips are being stretched beyond their comfortable limit! Hmm does that make any sense?

That makes perfect sense to me, and I agree :)

For training and out on a country road where there might be cars going by.... I always use two reins.
If I am on my property or a place with no cars, then I can be more traditional with my reins.
But to me, there is no set rules, just do what you feel comfortable doing.

I have seen a number of handicapped people now...even in wheel chairs using two reins.

Maggie is a miniature horse (from real shetland pony stock way back when:D) about 33 1/2" tall. She is a love to deal with.

Hear about how hard it is to care for them. Am lucky, my teenage son cleans the pastures, mini horse stall, feeds and waters them for me. Does about half the grooming.
But the family knows how much they mean to me and help out.

Is good you are looking to find someone to help you out. Makes all the difference in the world.
Good luck!

newrider.com