Wind Turbines?

immi

Oct 1, 2004
Northants, UK
Visit site
Just wondering how many people have to hack passed wind farms and what if any impact it has had on their horses and hacking. There is a proposal for 18 120m turbines near me and I was wondering what to expect. Some of them appear to be planned to be very close to the bridleway 30m or so. I'm not the bravest hacker at the best of times and hope that it will not have too much of an impact.

Thanks

Not the really big turbine, but there is a 10m or so wind generator next to one of the tracks we ride and it's pretty loud and impressive when the wind is blowing. My horses were unsurprisingly suspicious at first, but aren't that bothered now, if you can stay calm and give them enough time to realise that there's nothing to worry about you will probably be fine :)

I ride fairly close to some huge wind turbines, though not been as close as you're talking about yet. I'm still waiting for my pony to notice them :rolleyes:

I go to a friends' show and in the 4 fields surrounding the showground is... wind turbines. 43 in total, none of the ponies/horses take any notice to them anymore. I have yet to take my youngster there!

My pony was very suspicious at first but shes OK with them now :)

They are in the process of building a massive wind farm just outside Glasgow. The plans include tracks specifically for riding in and the area is miles wide so it should be great. At the meeting I did ask how horses react and was told that most horses dont bother once they have had their first look. Hopefully Arnie paid close attention to this last bit:eek:

Thanks, that's put my mind at rest. I'm just a happy hacker so get a bit protective over the bridleways - but if my mare and other horses using the routes will be ok with the turbines, bring them on.

Thanks again for your replies

My only problem I have with the turbines is pony is fascinated by them (not in a scary way just interested, like he is with hot air balloons too!) Trips up as he is too busy admiring them from not so afar! We've got near enough to hear them - next stop is climbing up the hill right to them but that'll have to be next time he's back home on his holidays!

They are in the process of building a massive wind farm just outside Glasgow. The plans include tracks specifically for riding in and the area is miles wide so it should be great. At the meeting I did ask how horses react and was told that most horses dont bother once they have had their first look. Hopefully Arnie paid close attention to this last bit:eek:

Where about is this skippy? At the moment we are also having large wind farm built just wondering if same one?

I live on windy windy Anglesey and we have loads of wind turbines. To be honest when I first got Kane I didn't even think about them!! I just rode passed and then one day someone asked how he'd reacted and I realised I'd never thought he might have a problem with them!!

Mind you I live underneath the RAF flight path too so think he's pretty chilled with most things by now!!!:D

I love seeing the turbines (much better than the alternative ) and how fab for you they are incorporating bridle paths..think I'll suggest that one to Anglesey Council!!!;)

At the end of our lane is a wind turbine, erected to power the village hall.

I thought they'd be worse with it, they really take very little notioce of it.

Where about is this skippy? At the moment we are also having large wind farm built just wondering if same one?

Its called the Whitelees Access Action Plan and it covers an area that goes between East Renfrewshire, South Lanarkshire and East Ayrshire:).

They hope to have over 90km of access roads through it which will all be suitable for horses (no cars to be allowed into the area:D).

newrider.com