Winter drying

hlstarmie

May 9, 2000
uk
Visit site
I would like to know the best way to dry a horse when he comes in from the field wet and cold in the winter before riding?
How dry should they be?
after riding if they are wet should they be dried before being put back out into the field, without rugs.?

So long as he has a good winter coat and you don't groom him I don't see why there is any reason you should not do gentle exercise. Don't get him sweaty. If he's wet from rain, and it's still raining I would give him an hour or so to dry before putting him out. If he has a good winter coat the wet will not have penetrated to the skin. I would be careful to exercise him gently to aviod sweating, this will make his skin wet and he may well feel the cold afterwards.

I like to use old towels to dry my horses in the winter. After riding, towel off any areas that are really wet...damp is fine, you just don't want him to be dripping wet. Try to groom them with brushes as little as possible, as it strips the hair of the natural waterproofing oils. just get major dirt patches in the saddle bridle area and leave the rest. If you want to spend hours doing, you can blow dry your horse with a hair dryer...takes forever though, and will probably cost a fortune in electricity. If you are worried that he is too wet, leave him in a stall with free choice hay until he is dry and warm again...digesting hay creates a lot of heat, so that will help to warm him up.

Allie

newrider.com