Wolf teeth?

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
Pete has his annual visit from our lovely EDT & once again, the subject came up of his wolf teeth - which he still has.

Has anyone else's adult, ridden horse still have their wolf teeth?

No, a few horses on the yard have had them removed (as youngsters) and I am always surprised how tiny they are. Do you ride Pete with a bit?

Yes and quite happily so! Although he's been a little fussy to find a bit he likes historically - he's happy in his Myler comfort snaffle :)

I mean, he's no Valegro but he's scored mid 60's at Intro/Prelim level online dressage with comments on his outline being appropiate for his level, jump low level & hack in his snaffle. He is often ridden in a rope halter but often ridden in a bit too.

The EDT has said because they are right next to his next set of teeth (I can't remember the proper name for them) it's easier as she can still rasp his first main teeth to prevent getting sharp.

Both EDT's I've used have said the majority of riding horses end up needing theirs removed, but as he seems happy it's up to me to decide if I want to remove them. I'm probably going to leave them for the reason that if it ain't broke, why try to fix it?

He's the only horse/pony I know of with them though ... so curious to see how common it is?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodshi
Marley has one wolf tooth but my edt said he is lucky that where it is it doesn't interfere with his bit, so she said he doesn't need it out.

My EDT told me that Gracie had a small one but then knocked it out by mistake when she rasped her teeth last year! She laughed and said she'd saved me a bill as she's not allowed to extract teeth.....but knocking them out was fine. I looked in G's bed but never found it.

When I had an EDT I was told they would need removing and it would need the vet.
We changed to the vet doing it as routine with her jabs and they both fell out.

I did find a tooth once from previous chap and still have it.

I left Bo's when he was young, they caused major problems and he started rearing so I had them out but he never shook that habit :( So on Jess I just had them pulled. They are tiny on most horses, not rooted into the jaw and don't serve any purpose so it just seemed pointless to risk the upset they can cause. The extraction is generally about 30 seconds a tooth and is very minor as they aren't rooted.

Being the weirdo I am I think I still have both Bo and Jess' wolf teeth in a pot at home somewhere. Bo's were as tall as they were wide, about 5mm, so tiny to have caused so much bother. Jess's were huge (the vet said unusually so) and were about 5mm across but about 20mm most of which was in the gum, so probably would have been horrid if she had of caught them.

Belle had one when I bought her, she was 15 then, it fell out about a year later when EDT brushed it with his thumb! Never caused her any bother at all, it was tiny though.

newrider.com