Wood Chips instead of shavings- I like it.

KarinUS

May 20, 2001
Texas
users.wireweb.net
The bags of shavings had gotten pretty expensive around here at the feed stores so I called someone who produced locally.
Turns out she didn't sell shavings per se but rather had something she called wood chips.
Her business is to make all kinds of things out of wood and the unusable parts go into a chopper machine that makes stuff that looks like this:
chips.jpg

You can play with it and even though it doesn't have the fluffyness of wood chips it feels pretty comfy, doesn't poke or give you splinters.
I don't think it would be good for people with rubber stall mats where you need the shavings to soak up the puddles but it's excellent for anybody with a drainage stalling system.
We have StallSkins that are installed at a slope and in the center of the stall below the StallSkins we have pea gravel to drain through into the ground. The Stall Skins are porous so the urine goes right through but it's tough material and the horses don't mess up the stall with their pawing, etc.

The wood chips provide nice cushioning but are more economical because it's easier to pick the poops out and urine drains trough quickly without soaking the chips.

I really like it and would recommend wood chips for anybody with any kind of drainage system (rather than rubber mats).

It looks very comfy and saving money for anything horse related is a plus. You might want to check to make sure that there is no black walnut or other potentially poisonous woods in it. Also, if your horse has dust allergies, you may end up with runny eyes and nose. Otherwise, It looks like you have found a bargain! It makes me wish a I was closer to TX so I could get in on some of that action!

It's pine. The lady makes wooden stakes (who knew people could live of off that! :rolleyes: ) and she only uses pine boards- it's the most economical wood to get for her.

Haven't noticed any increase in dust when I spread it but will watch out for it maybe once the shavings get older?

newrider.com