Worcester Nose Band

It does look kind of similar to a flash, but I think rather than going under the chin, it attatches to the bit on each side. It was designed as a noseband to help stop strong horses by combining nose and mouth pressue.

There is a picture of it at http://www.magnolife.com/Magnolife_Catalogue_Nosebands__Training_Aids__etc_22.html

No, you can't use it for dressage, the only nosebands allowed for dressage (BD) are cavesson, flah or drop. Under BE rules you can also use a grackle

Hope thats some help!

Last edited:
Apparently they are used a lot for polo ponies for stopping. I bought one as I my horse is very strong and sometimes I struggle to stop him.BUT I didn't really notice much difference and my instructor more or less said I had wasted my money! They are quite expensive too.
I believe they are used to train in dressage too.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone- I can honestly say that I had never heard of one- is it a comparatively recent invention?- thought I had heard of most items of saddlery!

Heather

I think it is quite new under that name, perhaps it has had a different one??. I borrowed one to try on Rebel, and it worked very well.My intention is to train him in it, not to compete.Unfortunately we were caught on the hop with the RDA Dressage Championships, in so much as we never thought for a minute we would qualify, considering I'd had him about nine weeks only.In the nationals there is a lot more emphasis put on the outline of the horse than there is at the Regionals, and I'm worried that he's not really ready for that standard yet, having been turned away for the previous six months before I had him.He is dropping his head quite nicely, but not consistently.We're really just trying to exploit an area where I can get some more marks, because according to my mark sheets my accuracy etc....is consistently good, but there are always comments about the lack of engagement and his nose sticking out. I have seven weeks to go, and this noseband seems to be helping him understand what I want from him.

I'd never heard of it either, but, just by chance, looking for inspiration for the word game, I opened my tack book (written by the indispensable Susan McBane in 2000), and there was a picture.

It's got a strap over the nose that buckles to the bit rings, and she says: The Worcester noseband from Shires Equestrian is a kinder, more effective alternative to the Kineton noseband ... It makes turning and lateral aids more effective and the turnback style jawband offers fine adjustment retaint the humane spirit of this noseband.

So it sounds as if you're doing right to use it Monty; maybe when you take it off you'll find that he's learned the lessons.

GETTING A NICE OUTLINE?

I thought getting a nice outline relied on the legs and the power coming up from the back end? The training aids only seem to work on the front end,bringing the nose down and in, not really getting a proper outline. I hasten to add that I am still working on this ( not having especially strong legs to start with ) but most times the horse is more collected than just pulling his head in..

You are right in a way,Rusk, except that in Rebel's case, he CAN do it, and work from behind too_One really follows the other.It would be difficult for him to drop his head and not engage his hindquarters more. But he just seems to lose concentration sometimes, and stick his nose out...he's sooooo nosey. I don't forget he's wearing it and yank it.He only wears it for schooling, and it seems to remind him, that we're still at work, and that, while there's me up there, I would like him to drop his head.Once school is over, he can nose for all he's worth.He only needs a tweak on it, and he remembers,then.I would prefer to put a gentle pressure on a Worcester,than haul his head in on an ordinary cavesson nose band. Within the boundaries of kindness and discipline, you have to use a bit more ingenuity when you have a disability.I stress though, that I would not use it to teach a youngster to develop an oultine, this is just a gentle reminder to a stroppy teenager, that he must listen to me when he's on the school. It works very well, I ve yet to see what will happen when I take it off again...should be interesting.

LindaAd wrote:
I'd never heard of it either, but, just by chance, looking for inspiration for the word game, I opened my tack book (written by the indispensable Susan McBane in 2000), and there was a picture.

Tut, tut, I really should have known this - especially as Susan McBane is an old friend of mine!!

Heather

This is the picture of Kally that was on her advert, where she is wearing a Worcester. I've been wondering whether to get her one, as she is quite strong.

Heather-I bought Kally from Vicki Dunster-she said she had been training with you. Did you ever meet Kally (or Gypsy as she was known then?)

Last edited:
HI Tasha,

Blimey, it does look a pretty strong contraption!! Yes, Vicki does train with me nowadays and is a very good teacher, but I didn't meet Kally.

Is Kally strong all of the time, ie on her own, in company, in the school, out hacking or whatever?

Heather

gloster noseband

got a it distracted by the gloster noseband at the top of the page - even though I KNEW what the other one looked like. Then worked out that the roght one was further down.

Heather - was it the gloster one that you saw and were commenting on ? Looks like a really weird device.

Heather:

Kally is strong in the school in canter, and in trot after having cantered. She is strong to jump, and also quite strong to hack offroad in trot and canter. Its quite strange, I can stop and start, but have little control of the pace in between (ie I cant slow the canter!) but this mainly applies when she is very worked up, doing XC or offroad hacking. She is exactly the same whether with company or alone, although I prefer hacking alone as I dont have to make excuses or apologise for my lack of control.

Hacking wise I have recently started goin back to basics-walk only, and before she went lame I had started introducing trot.

Hi Tasha,

I knew Kally when she was known as Gypsy, Vicki gave my daughter (then 11) some lessons on her in the school. She was excellent in the school but wasn't really hacked out as that isn't really Vicki's "thing".

I also saw her being jumped and she did look rather strong, and as though she was really enjoying it! :)

Nix-

Really? Wow-I know very little about Kally's past so any news or info is great. Did your daughter canter her, and if so, did she buck at all? Also, did Vicki jump her? Sorry about all the questions, just a couple more! How high was she jumping and do you know what bit she had when jumping?

Sorry, but I just love having an insight into her past! She does love jumping (loves it too much sometimes!) and galloping! I changed her name because she is too fine to be called Gypsy-it doesnt suit her! So she became Lady Kahlua or Kally instead.

Hiya again tasha :)

No, Jen didn't canter her in the school, just walk and trot ... she was ridden in a pelham with two reins (I think). Vicki didn't actually jump her at Woodcroft, I saw her jumped and cantered when she was up for sale. She was ridden in the same bit as for schooling and although she was excited when jumping she didn't buck when I saw her.

I must admit we absolutely adored her too, and if we'd been able to afford to keep a second horse I would have loved to have had her myself. Lucky you!

I used to bring her in from the field for Vicki in the evenings and she was always well behaved and generally quite soppy. She loved being scratched behind the ears too!

Nicki

newrider.com