Working on a full stomach

Tasha,

Originally posted by tasha
Also-would your horse think "Ooh, I must wait an hour before eating that patch of lush grass beause Ive just had a mad hooley round the field with my mates and Im hot"???

I only leave then before feeding them their hard feed. I give them their hay or turn then out to grass without worry as that's slightly differnt, not sure how but it is.

I'm not saying it's wrong, that's just how I do it and I have noticed what other people on the yard do, that's all.:D

My ponies are out all the time, so we just get them in, groom and go. They sometimes have a haynet to keep the busy too.
In the winter, when they are having feed, we ride them before they eat their dinner.

My instructor (who is a BHSAI) told me that horses digestive systems are made specifically for eating grass.In the wild,a horse would graze and then perhaps run away if a predator was around.This would not harm them.However,as the digestive system is NOT made to handle hard feed,you should always wait 1 hour before riding.

I usually wait about half an hour. Falcon's on grass and it takes me about half an hour to groom him, tack him up and go. We dont go mad as he's only young. even if I take him in the school, we only trot for about 2 circuits on either rein, then walk, practising rein backs, turns on the forehand, haunches etc. He doesn't even puff.

newrider.com