Working with horses

*Shantih*

Nov 25, 2001
East Sussex
Visit site
Hi Heather,

I just wondered what your views were on working with horses.
I'm considering a career as an instructor/trainer, but don't know whether i should just keep horses and riding as a hobby. Can u have too much of a good thing? Should you mix business with pleasure?

I'd be really grateful of any advice!

"Do what you love, love what you do."

No reason NOT to mix business with pleasure! At least then you'll look forward to going to work!

I love to wake up in the morning and smile when teh alarm goes off at 530 and i say time for work! i can't wait!!!! i don't want to be one of those grownups allways talking about how work sucks. and when i come home from the barns i cant wait to go ride my horse and groom and just play around with him.

Hi Shantih,

Well, this is a difficult one. Intouch is a very old friend of mine and we have both been teaching for about the same length of time. I have to agree with her- I have spent far moer time teaching than riding just to pay bills, and indeed for six years up until last year, I rode perhaps twice a week just to demonstrate to students. I really began to feel resentful of everyone else riding and me just working to pay the bills. I took stock, changed course and also bought myself my own horse. I now ride most days, probably twice daily as I have two horses now, but it has taken me until I am nearly fifty to be able to afford to indulge, and even then, I am by no means well off!

Think of it as a vocation, then yes, by all means work with horses, but if you want to build financial security for the future, my advice is keep horses as a hobby- and even then, you will be impoverished compared to those with less expensive hobbies!

Heather

Horsey Career

Originally posted by intouch
But you'll never have enough money, or enough time for your own horses!

It's kind of funny (in a sad way) and ironic, but my riding instructor, who teaches riding, barely has time to ride, herself! (with all the time teaching and up-keeping the stable, etc). That must suck; I know I'd hate it and MAKE time! But I guess when you house as many horses as she does, you need that money, so you have to put their needs infront of your own wants.

Maci :)

newrider.com