worming question

Harriet

Aug 14, 2000
Visit site
Excuse the stupidity of this question but... I am about to get my 1st horse on Friday (YIPPEE) and he has to be kept in to be wormed, does this mean I cant take him out for a hack? I thought it just meant he had to stay in from the field but I wanted to check, also whats the technique for worming its apparantely by mouth/tube, (YIKES) rather than in feed form.
thanks
Harriet

Hi Harriet

It is best to keep your horse in a confined area after worming so that you can easily collect the droppings - removing the droppings means that you do not reinfest the pasture. There is no reason at all not to ride that I am aware of.

It is quite simple to use the syringe wormers - instructions are with the pack - you insert the syringe into the side of the mouth (where the bit goes) and squirt the paste/gel onto the back of the tongue.

Good luck on Friday! Anymore more questions just ask away - someone else might also think they are too silly to ask but are dying to know the answer - if you don't ask you don't find out!

All the best and congratulations on your first horse!

for ClaireV

Thankyou for that, and thanks for the congrats.... I'm absolutely beside myself with excitement and I'm neither 'use nor ornament' at work. I will certainly be asking more questions....

Regards
Harriet

hello!

I hope everything goes well for you on Friday. Just a quick word of advice about wormers, if it is Equest wormer, it is VERY hard to get to start coming out the syringe thingy. I always squeeze a little bit out before selecting the dose and giving it to my horse.

Be prepared for a bit of an exciting hack on friday, your horse is moving to a new house with a new Mum so may be quite a bit on edge and a bit of a fool out of a hack on his first day. It may be worth waiting a coupl eof days before riding him out and riding him in the school (if you have one) before then.

Good luck, do let us know how you get on.

bye!

checking for worms

Hello Harriet, congratulations on getting a horse, you have lots of fun ahead. Sounds as though you are going to a well run yard as they are insisting on a worm count before your horse is turned out. We do lots of counts for people in your position, usually with someone desperately waiting on the end of a phone for their result! Some of our local yards drop them in personally and we usually get them done within a couple of hours.
Just a point - even if you intend worming that same day it is well worth taking a sample as soon as you get your horse so that worming does not mask any underlying problem. It's not likely but sometimes a horse has a worm problem from past neglect of this aspect of their care and it's as well to know if that is the case.
Why not have a look at our web site: http://www.westgatelabs.8m.com
for more info?
Good luck with your new horse, and you too Sonia, Gill

newrider.com