young horse napping/reared/heather please help

angel

Oct 18, 2000
john o groats
Visit site
i i have 3 horses my newest one purchased 4 wks ago. she was broken at 3 then left last yr and brought into work in april 00 ridden on a loose rein. i am having lessons on her but sometimes she backs up and i feel like she may go up she didnt i growled at her gave her rein then pushed her on. a friend rode her at the wekend - short hack then in field after a while horse napped leaped bucked then did it again then stopped reared and fell over. after we caught her friendot back on horse was okay but i am worried she might do this again. i had a leson thenext day and she was okay since then 2 short hacks. she rides out with other horse at the moment. anglo arab 16 hh quite build up. instructor was surprised as she classes me and the horse as quite laid back. friend is very confident rider not heavy handed i dont want this to happen again any help please.

I'm not Heather, and would not presume to know the answer... but what I have found with similar horses is to back off and put on no pressure. Sit tight until the horse offers to go forward. Don't urge her on just be patient and wait until the horse offers you something. 9 times out of ten it will be forward. If she backs up, be passive. Don't kick, don't growl just ignore. Praise to the hilt forward behaviour and reinforce it with supple relaxed riding.

Don't ride her in a situation that could be dangerous, like on the road, until you and she understand one another.

Perhaps your friend is a little too over confident and not in tune with the horse. There are a lot of very good riders I know. (they can stay on, and will ride anything!!) but I would not let them ride my little horse, as he needs a "self confident introvert" to ride him!!

She's only a baby, go quietly. If she's your horse I'd just ride her yourself, wait until she's more experienced before letting others have imput.

I may well be very wrong, in which case, Heather put us all right!

Hi,

I do not know alot about badly behaved horses however what i do know is from experince. I to have a horse that naps and rears etc etc, and i totally agree 100% with Wally. This kind of reaction and riding has helped my horse who is now finally behaving.

This may take time but the rewards are worth it. Once i sat for 25 minutes glued to one spot. It is heartbreaking when your best friend becomes more like your worst.

If you can stick in there, believe me the rewards are worth it.

Wishing you luck
xx

newrider.com