Your Horse Magazine...............

Sorry to be a bit late in post,

I have the Sept edition of Horse and Rider, and come to think of it, it looks really different that what I'm used to.

Silver, its a 16 page pullout. It shows excersises and posture tips-I read it all, just didn't sink in. I don't think I'd ever try any of their warm-ups.

Re: Not always that simple.......

Originally posted by Monty
Most people who are 'sway backed' as you call it ;) or in medical terms have an exaggerated lumbar lordosis, have other problems, which caused this in the first place (usually related to the hip joint), so unfortunately, if you correct one thing another bad 'habit' (though it's not a habit at all) will creep in to compensate. Often it's impossible to do anything about it, and you just (and I quote Chev here!!!;) ) have to forgive it!

I hope you're not right about this Monty - I have a sway back, always have had, and I remember my mother always saying that I was just like her sister and her mother.. So I assumed it was inherited, and I live with it. Riding instructors never seem to find it a problem - maybe I have too many more obvious problems! - But I think my back has definitely straightened out since I've been riding a lot.

I think its the kind of thing you have to be continually aware of - and bad habits aren't isolated to those with existing problems !

I used to get bad migraines til I did some Alexander Technique work. I now get them much more rarely and much less severly - so neck tension was clearly part of it but I was never particularly aware I had a 'problem' ! I haven't been able to get to an AT session for some time now, and I know I am reverting a little (so am on a quest to find a new trainer to work with :) )

newrider.com
Back