Your Horse

Maria

Jul 23, 1999
Visit site
Hi Heather

I'd not renewed my subscription to Your Horse because it had got so appalling. I've bought the last couple of issues 'cos of your articles - wouldn't have bought them otherwise. Fanta looks absolutely stunning in the picture with the article - and incredibly cheeky in the back page feature. Tim thought Fanta looked wonderful too and reckons that he's sussed your preferences for horse type and could go out and buy your next one!

The Debbie Ewing article was interesting but I thought the Michael Peace one on clipping was rather like the one he wrote for this month's Dressage magazine - a bit of a con that! Otherwise not much of interest in Your Horse.

Maria

Aha, caught you out, Maria!!!! The pic in the back was an old one of me riding Spanish, not Fanta! Didn't you notice the lack of wrinkles ( me not Span) as the pic is about five years old!!

Glad that you think Fanta is looking good. I had the best trot work out of him ever today. Sue was watching and she said he looked like warmblood. She hasn't seen him work for nearly trhee months and was amazed at the diffference in him.

However, tell Tim, that Rei is nothing like Fanta, so caught him out on that one too!!

I am off to ride the 'Boy' on Saturday in Poortugal- so looking forward to it. Report when I get back!!

I am getting some really good feedback from the Your Horse articles. I have had to cover some old ground but have been able to go into greter depth than they have let me do before, which is gratifying!!!

Heather

Absolutely, Heather, he certainly did! Look like a Warmblood that is. No criticism of Iberian horses, of course, I love Iberians, have half of one myself. Just often people believe that they don't have the ability and paces of a Warmblood. Fanta today proved to me that they can have. When I first saw him, he was like a little sewing machine, very choppy and flat with no suspension. Today he had real elevation in his trot and slow and rhythmic, but not at all Passagy, or Spanish trotty, which can happen sometimes with horses who appear to have power, but don't really, it's all spring, but no real boing. Hard to explain, unless you know what I'm talking about. :)

There is someone who reads NewRider who owns a horse very similar to Fanta who had similar previous training and whose training was in the same country, who should take heart from this report! How long has it taken you Heather, to get Fan to this stage?

PM:
Watching Fanta and Heather carefully... we'll have to think of piaffe Sue to help with the engagement and there's something thin, rubbery and with holes that we can put under the saddle if we need to!

Sue Carnell
sue@eclipse.co.uk

Hi Heather

Send Spanish my profuse apologies - fancy mistaking him for the young pretender. Guess it's cos last time I saw him he looked more like a cuddly/muddy Welsh Pony. Promise him some treats next time I see him. Oh and me getting old, having too much work and not enough time. Going to have to trade Tim in for someone who will keep me in the luxury to which I'd like to be accustomed and more time to do horsey stuff.

You can definitely see the Arab in Fanta now - but with a bit more substance like a warmblood.

Can't wait to hear your report on Rei - and hopefully see some piccies too. Now why can't you fall for larger horses than I can cadge a ride on?

Dressage saddle is due back today - if it fits there's going to be no stopping Carrie and me given all these examples we're seeing of what is possible!

Maria

Aha Maria, but Rei is 16 hands and still growing!! Gotcha!!!

I am glad that Sue could see a real difference in Fanta, and Sue it has taken me a good year odds to get him to this stage, slow steady work on the basics to imporve the quality of the gaits, so take heart!!!!!

Heather

OK - I give up, I'll go and find a hole to hibernate in. :eek: Does that mean if I brush up my riding skills I get a lesson? :D

Have a great time in Portugal!

Maria

Grrrrrr!!!!!!!!! Maria, you are always talking about brushing up your skills, when there is practically nothing wrong in the first place, except your lack of belief in your own ability!!

Yes, of course you can have a sit on him, if Rei is not too naughty a boy when I get him home- don't still think you woudl feel very at home on Fanta if he were big enought for you- he is still VERY sharp in his reactions and nearly catches me out sometimes.

Let me tell you that very few people will be allowed a sit on Rei when I get him home, - he is going to be rather valuable and also my own peronal horse, so if I consider you are good enough to ride my own personal horse, take that as time to believe in yourself a bit more!!!!!

Heather

Hi Heather

Thank you - you're very good for my self esteem. I've done so little riding this year that I'm really rusty. Dressage saddle came back yesterday - if that hasn't sold the problem then I'll sell it and come back to you for a new one.

2003 is going to be different - something's got to give so that I get more time for Carrie and my equestrian aspirations - including teaching. Tim's just turned down a job in Wales but he's got an interview in Somerset - so maybe we'll be bound for the West! If we up sticks and move, I can rethink my job!

Maria

Maria,

Move to Somerset! Its the best thing we've done in a long time. Also, if you move this way, I can recommend a great yard to you.

Also, no threat of nasty developers putting a bypass through your horse's field here....

bye!

Heather and Sue, I have just caught up with this thread and was much heartened to read your posts about Fanta. Before you mentioned me/ Pip I recognised the sewing machine syndrome immediately. 'Walking downstairs' is another analogy I have for him when he is at his worst. The 'on and back' in trot seems to help him go into his bridle but he is still a devil for deciding when work has stopped and dropping his bit. I saw the green rubbery, holey thing at Heathers, it looks as if it would be effective but I wondered how comfortable it would be for the horse. I hope that Barry will come up trumps.

newrider.com