Your Imaginative/Innovative Jumps??

emmakatelouise

Aug 17, 2007
Yorkshire
Am wanting to build myself some jumps in the field from general "stuff" laying around in the yard, so it got me thinking...

What do you make use of for jumps when you have no proper wings/poles?? Either sensible or bizarre!
Post piccies if you've got them!

Tyres, traffic cones, buckets, mounting blocks, the menage fence :D, garden chairs, dustbins, anything you can balance a pole on really :p! (by the way, these were all done with mates when i helped out at a livery yard; if i'd have tried that at the RS they'd have had a fit :eek:;)!)

neatly stacked manure piles :p
bits of fallen trees/logs
hay/straw bales
broom handles make good poles
mounting blocks if you have a few on the yard
grooming boxes can be lined up in a row
Those large plastic dustbins

Can't think of anymore right now :p

ETA: Feed bins, rugs can be laid over jumps to make them bright and more challenging!, plastic chairs, bits of fence...

Last edited:
red and white planks from road works on our lane were good!
My latest one is 2 barrels (different shapes and size) with 2 cones either side, practice for barrel jumping!
We did have a blue sheet of wood but think its gone rotten now! dnt think dexter would have gone anywhere near it anyway!! We used to use broken fence planks the horses used to rip them off! We used to get 10 jumps in our tiny school!

ahem.. WELL... I have set-up a course of show jumps in one of our fields.. using show jumps which look something like this..

1632918090a8122233023l.jpg

(use bin bags and fill with straw to use as fillers, that's what the ickle purple thing is i will make more eventually)

1632918090a8122232816l.jpg

DSC03714.jpg

Then we also have started work on a XC course over a frankly HUGE field with a million and one natural jumps (ditches etc) tomorow i will ride out there and get pics of them all!

2 of them anyway..

17373645a7048659851l.jpg

17373645a7048660306l.jpg

:D

Plastic drainpipe filled with sand, and bound with yellow tape as the poles. And until recently old beer crates which we found at a tip as the jump wings. You can stack them and the poles don't roll off easily. However, yard handyman has nabbed them for his own use so haven't done any jumping for a while:mad:

A good thread!!

were thinking about jumping in our field, But dont have any jumps although we do have a few poles, Had already thought about tyres (been told if you ask at a garage they will give them to you for free) as normally they have to pay people to take them away

newrider.com