Your morning routine?

Daffy Dilly

Dec 5, 2004
Visit site
I'm back at uni now (I say that, but I'm still living at home), so it means I have to be up early in order to sort his highness out.

Monday went great - up at 6.30, waterproofs on over my pj's (wp's being skiing pants and fleece lined jacket ;)) home by 7.40, showered and off to uni by 8.45.

Every other day so far hasn't been so good, it's been cold, and I absolutely hate getting out of bed into a cold room. Plan to leave waterproofs by the side of the bed so I come into contact with as little cold air as possible in the morning! :p

How do you all manage your mornings over winter, when you have to muck out/change rugs etc and still make it to work on time even though you really don't want to get up?

Luckily mine live out so i dont muck out and rarely need to faff with rugs, winter can be easier in the morning than summer for me! Fall out of bed and put warm clothes over pj's, I get to them about 7ish, they are only round the corner, adjust rugs if needed, break ice on water when it gets that cold and top up if tap is working, chuck some hay out, job done!! Not sure id cope as well with stabled neds!

Wake up at 06:00, feed the dog and cat and check the online weather forecast.

Out of the house by 06:45 to go to the yard and check Dolly, change rugs and if she's been stabled overnight, turn her out. The dog comes with me and has his morning exercise running round the farm.

Back home by 07:15 to change and do hair and makeup.

Out of the house by 07:30 to be in work for 08:00.

Quite frankly I wouldn't manage. :eek:

Joy is 13 miles away from me and I go down to do her after dropping my daughter off at school so I won't have to deal with her in the dark.

She is out 24/7 365 so I don't have to be there first thing for turning out etc. I just wouldn't be able to do that as hubby is often away at short notice.

I have flexibilty with when I get to her, poo pick, feed etc and I just couldn't go DIY with her as it wouldn't be fair.

I admire each and every one of you that have stabled horses, kids, jobs and lives :D

mine are at home so not too bad

my tips are:

central heating set to come on half hour before alarm clock so house toasty before i wake up

kettle on before i go out to the yard

soon as get in a cuppa & a shower

but i still have the days where i'd happily get back in bed after!

I'm up at 6am as it is, to get to work at 7.15am without having to sort out Will in the morning.

I'm lucky, he is in full livery. The reason I get to work so early though is so that I can leave work at 4pm, to go the yard. This means that he gets ridden every day, & also gives me time to groom him thoroughly & wipe over my tack every day, so I never really get to the stage where loads of things need doing.

Even with a horse living out in the winter, I'm up at 4.45 am to get to the yard to feed, hay the field, change rugs etc and catch the 6.20 train to work.

This winter my horse may have to be in more at night and I shall become even more sleep deprived. :eek: Fortunately she's worth it! :D

What's a routine :eek::rolleyes:?

I'm up at 6am usually, feed the cats and tortoises and off to work :).

I don't "do" my girl in the mornings, unless of course she is sick or there is a problem that needs attending to and then somehow I have to juggle things/get up earlier/share the morning care with my OH.

I'm lucky in that not only do I keep my horse on full (ish) livery, but also have an OH who shares the responsibility with me. Otherwise, I could never manage to have a horse with my lifestyle (a regular routine is nigh on impossible!).

I am THE worst morning person! But I find it so much easier to get out of bed when I have to go and do Beau rather than get up later just for work!

Me and my sister in law help each out so I don't have to go up every morning, if I do I'm up at 6.45, out the door by 7 (jumper and trakkie bottoms chucked on, hair scraped back!!) takes about 15 mins to get to the yard and usually get them fed and out within half an hour, then back home, get ready for work and leave the house at 8.55 to work at 9!

I leave the mucking out etc till the evening, although its nicer if I have time in the morning to get it done, especially with the nights getting darker now, I struggle to get motivation to ride after I've done everything else :eek:

1st person on the yard feeds, i get there about 9.15am, turn fizz out, groom & ride jay , turn out when i get back, clean tack/muckout/do feeds & hay :D

i get up about 6.30, put on college clothes with winter woolies over the top

out of the house on my bike at 7

yard at 7.30, give Curly some food while i redo her water and change her rugs, put her out and muck out.

take off winter clothes and set off to college at 8.30 on my bike.

Cant wait till i can drive!

It is a struggle I try not to think about it and just do it :D

I get up at 5.45, get to the gym for 6.15, leave gym at 8 to go and turn horses out before getting to work at 9. Luckily Gym, work and stables are all within 10 mins of each other :D

Some one should invent an automatic door that opens at a set time with a path straight to the field :D

I would love to muck out in the morning but I wouldn't have time to muck out and have a shower before work so i do it after.

My morning routine??

Get up, look out of window, count them and make sure they are in a different place from when I last looked!

Get up at 8am, sort kids out and send off to school, get myself sorted, drive up to Dads farm ( 2mins up road)

Muck out ( 10 mins ) feed and turn horses out....

Then straight off to work, then back after work about 2pm to ride:)

Hmm. Get up 7am, have breakfast, drive up road to field for 7.30. Play with horse (rode about in the field for a bit this morning). Feed horse, put endless ointments and potions on him (will he ever have nothing at all wrong with him?), clean his feet, start on other horses.

Do inhalers on wheezy horse, deet on the sweetitch pony, change rugs on the oldster. Inspect everybody else for teeth marks ;) Spend half an hour evading the sweetitch pony who wants to play (with teeth :eek:) and won't let me near the others.

Escape from field and home for 8.45am. Have quick shower and change into work clothes. Head to train, aim to be in office for 10am. Work till 6. Head home, change clothes, start again... :D Will scrap the evening visit shortly as it's dark and other horse owner does inspections then.

I'm on part livery, so don't have to do mornings in the week! The yard feed, give a quick flick over with a brush, change rugs, turn out & muck out in the morning & I ride & put to bed in the afternoons/evenings although they do bring in the winter whilst it is still light if I can't there until the evening.

up at 6.30, wake up eldest son, leave his breakfast on table,rewake eldest son :) walk down to barn with dogs (morning exercise for them), change rugs and chuck out (only 2 in at night), muck out and sweep barn. Back to house by 7.20, make sure son is leaving on bike to cycle to school bus stop, wake up 2 younger children and get their clothes out, get changed/wash hair,breakfast, mad 5 minutes shouting "have you got your recorder/blazer/prep etc etc", leave house 8.10, go back to house to get forgotten blazer/prep etc, drive them to school for 8.30, 3 days a week drive to work for 9, 2 days get to go home and play horses!

Here goes

up at 5.30/6am head up to yard.
Feed him whilst I muck out the stable.
When he is finished/I am finished I change his rug then turn him out.
I make up feeds/haynets/straw bags for night time.
Tidy up then go home, have a shower and go to work.

Nikki xxxx

newrider.com