Your Stirrups Heather......

We had two folk today who blankly refused to ride in the wide tread Icelandic/eventer/Heather design stirrups.

We had to upend ourselves in a spare tack box to find them ordinary English Stirrups!:rolleyes:

I can't find any of Heather's stirrups on her site, but broadly, as far as I can tell, they are going to a have a broader footplate, rather rounder than conventional ones, and not unlike Icelandic ones except with a rubber tread. They will also be suspended from the stirrup leathers by a loop which makes them suspend at the right angle, meaning that to put your foot in, you do just that, no twisting your stirrup leather, and fumbling and struggling when you lose a strirrup....it's there, facing the right direction, and waiting to receive your foot. Please correct me if I've got that wrong, somebody. Icelandic stirrups have a round foot plate but no rubber tread, and the face in the right direction too. They're a little bit like eventing stirrups. I'm going to try to post a picture, but I have a feeling Wally may have posted it before, in which it will not be allowed to be posted again. But I'll give it a whirl anyway. Apologies if it doesn't work.

thanks

Thanks Monty
From your description they sound very interesting. How sensible to have a stirrup that doesnt require any fumbling around!

What on earth could they be complaining about (ie the 2 who refused to ride in them)???

I use caged endurance ones for riding. The RDA insists, because I can't keep my heels down, or even level...they tend to ride up, and that makes you very vulnerable should my horse take fright, my foot would almost certainly slip through ordinay stirrups, and if I then fell, I'd be dragged.
I love my endurance ones, they are very comfortable. But I am very aware of them for dressage competitions, and whilst we're always very self-critical when we see our photos, I feel very, very conscious of my stirrups. My feet tend to stick out anyway, beacuse my hips find it difficult to open up ,and therefore I find it hard to wrap my legs round a horse. So they tend to stick out. I always feel those stirrups make it twice as obvious! It's probably not that bad.....but once you get it into your head......you know what it's like??
I think Heather's will be a very good compromise for me, even if it means having a small cage welded onto the front of them. At least they won't be big, black and plastic!

newrider.com