Your vets

Lucie

Mar 3, 2007
Our local surgery has 5 equine vets.

I request the same vet each time I call.

In case of emergency I’d take anyone. But for vaccinations, minor injuries etc I always ask for ‘my vet’.

Does anyone else do this? It’s something I’ve always done, but some seem to find it strange (which is a reaction I've not come across before).

I do all my own minor vetting...anything short of a fracture or poisoning anyway :D. In and emergency that I can not handle...I would try to get one certain vet knowing I trust him more than the others so he'd be the one I'd call first. But, Like you...anyone will do in a pinch.

We use what I consider to be the best vet in the north west, he aint cheap by any means but so trust him. He has 3 other vets under him and to be honest with my friends self harming ( i loooooove to play in barb wire) youngster we have had them all and they are lovely and trust them the same.
The "sicknote" youngster as we now call him was 2 last week. slashed his heel open, 6 weeks box rest, dressing changed every 3 days.
Out for 2 days and removed the heel bulb, yes removed it, really good job, now on 3-6 months box rest. blocked the nerves on the outside of his heel, flexi cartlidge exposed, severed main artery.
I am now a veterinary nurse, not legally!, I am however officially the fastest vetrapper in the west lol. my friend is as much use as a chocolate fire guard when it comes to a bit of blood and gunk. God love her she should be used to it by now.

We've got one vet we prefer, but any of the local vets are good in a pinch. Although I think the preferred vet will soon quit on us, as the pregnant mare keeps trying to kick him everytime he gives her the pneumabort shots. :rolleyes:

Not strange at all ;) i have 2 vets i always ask for. Unless it's an emergency i won't have any other of their equine vets treat my horses.

One practice has about 4 as does the other, we use one practice for all our castrations and the other for small animals and other horse mishaps.

Sofar I don't care which vet we get, apart from one, we told them not to bother sending him, as he always seems to rattle the horses. Nearly got his head kicked in once by marching up to a nervous mare and jamming a needle in her chest. He did go up in my estimations once when a cruelt case mare too a turn for the worse on a Sunday when he was on, but he got on the ohne and the internet and found out what was wrong with her without having to come out. .....and he is good at speying and neutering ferrets!

My practice only has 2 vets and I never specify which vet as I'd be happy with either. However, continuity seems to be important to them and if there is something ongoing (like this current attack of lami) then, unless it is an emergency, the same vet tends to come out.

newrider.com