your views on cider vinegar please

Three Mares

Oct 23, 2007
It has been suggested to me to feed my oldies cider vinegar to ease stiffness. Does it work? Also, do you buy it from feed shops or from supermarkets which appear to be a lot cheaper - is it the same thing?

Thanks for your help:)

I've never tried it for either myself or any of my ponies. Peeps I've known that have used it, have been well pleased with it.

Last edited:
i feed it. can't say i've noticed a huge difference, but he has come off his cortaflex which normally causes a noticable difference but hasn't this time which could be due to the cider vinegar.

Last edited:
We used it for a while with our older horse, we didn't really notice much of a difference and it is quite expensive, we got ours from the farm shop, so we just kept to the equiflex this year and he has been fine :)

Thanks for responding. I'm not sure whether to try any or not as its quite expensive maybe I will try something else. :)

Try finding a local cider maker- they produce cider vinegar for a fraction of the cost of the feed merchant. I knew an equine nutritionist who did a study on it for her qualification and she said that it worked. It's also used very effectively on humans. I suppose like anything some things work for some and some for others.

I have been adding it to feeds for the last couple of months - I have a 33 year old pony on loan and was keen to try anything that could reduce his stiffness. Get it from where I get my feed - Simple System - not too expensive for a big container. Gambit is a lot less stiff, but obviously can't say if that is entirely down to the vinegar, as he also has other 'stuff' in his feed (seaweed, brewers yeast, fenugreek and garlic) and is just generally in better condition now (also comes in at night and is rugged most of the time now). Frayne has a small bit in her meal - just as it is there and can't do her any harm :)

Ali xx

I tried it for my arthritis and it didn't make any difference. Plus I really disliked the taste so I stopped taking it after a few weeks. Maybe I ought to have taken it longer to notice an effect.

newrider.com