10 mile hack this moring in gorgeous sunshine...

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
Longest hack Ed and I have done for quite some time.

It's all on road (but lots of narrow, quiet lanes. There's one field where we have to do gates at either end (my job as friends horse is just too big :biggrin:)

This field has a herd of huge beasties in it that scare the living daylights out or me (not a cow/beast fan :redface:). However, my friend always reassures me that you only have to worry in the Spring when the cattle are young and not used to seeing horses, so end Summer/Autumn they're fat and chilled :giggle::giggle: Well this large herd looked at us and didn't even move, so got half way across the field and decided to canter to the next gate :dance:

Poor old Ed was rather sweaty when we got back, so hosed down, fed and turned him out. He will be blanket clipped next week :inlove:

Can honestly say he didn't spook at one thing for the whole 10 miles :playfull::wavespin:

Sunshine?! er what's that?!

Sounds like you had a fun ride, I miss hacking, need to get my arse in gear and get back down to size so I can ride Whisper again

Thanks both.

Jovi is sunny and 17 degrees here in Sunny Leicestershire :biggrin::biggrin: Though, I think we're back to rain tomorrow :poop:

Sounds great! Tho a word of caution, I wouldn't altogether trust the theory of the cattle being fat and chilled - I watched two folk not long ago out hacking get chased over the hill near us. Felt very sorry for them, the cows were in full throttle! And I have to say, back end of last year Storm and I got chased on our own land by the naughty cows!!!! Not trying to scare you - honest!!

:frown::frown::frown: Trewsers, don't tell me that :frown::frown: I'm going to stick with my friends theory and if it goes wrong blame her :giggle:

In fact I feel happier going though them on Edward, than I do walking through with my dog :redface:

Sounds great! Tho a word of caution, I wouldn't altogether trust the theory of the cattle being fat and chilled - I watched two folk not long ago out hacking get chased over the hill near us. Felt very sorry for them, the cows were in full throttle! And I have to say, back end of last year Storm and I got chased on our own land by the naughty cows!!!! Not trying to scare you - honest!!

You are probably right, least if they chase you on horse-back you can escape!! lol. I remember last back end we had some particularly curious black young 'uns, but it was their mums that instigated the trouble - they got right up behind Storm, but she is not one for taking any guff and she told them with her back legs good and proper to back off! hehehehehehe.
Glad you are enjoying such nice weather, we had lovely weather here around lunch time, but its gone black now.......I believe tomorrow its meant to rain - out come the rain sheets again.......

Very jealous of your lovely hack!! You part-timer with a healthy pony you :giggle::giggle::redcarded::redcarded:

sounds like you had a lovely time!

to be honest i avoid going on any hacks that involve going through a field of cows. Theres two cow fields on our frequent hacks - but they have a fenced pathway along an edge, but the cows are waaayyyy too interested even like that! they come over and chase us along the fence line.

Theres one bridleway that runs through a field which occasionally has cows in it. unfortunately you cant tell if it has cows until you are part way through....the two times i've been through the cows havent been out....i really dont fancy it if they are out!

I think cows can be such a bug-bear to hackers. I remember when we first moved ours home, we were hacking along nicely, and decided to venture further up off our own land and up the farm track (farmer said it was fine to do so) well, Storm just stopped dead when she saw Highland Cattle for the first time! And if Joe had been a girl, he'd have screamed!lol. Was so funny, we turned tail and went home - they had a brisk walk I can tell you!!!

newrider.com