16' 2 - How do you get on him.

mounting

Hi Shazza,

I can certainly sympathise with you, I'm 5'3" and one of our boys is 17.2... and of course he's the flighty one who needs lots of saddle work, and my partner doesn't ride...

After one instance of him spooking, bolting, throwing me off and being caught again, I had the dilema of getting back on! My hip damn near seized up and he was all stirred up and not standing still, and of course anything that I could stand on to get back up was absolutely terrifying to the poor bloke (he was a late 2yo at that point and he is a little light on in the brain department although he is very sweet).

This certainly isn't technically correct, and it looks really awkward but it's usable in a pinch...

I don't know what gear you use, but try attatching a short length of lead rope something similar you can wrap around your hand, to the off side breast plate connector and as you 'bounce' up from the ground, pull toward the rear of the horse and also downward as you get higher, (toward the ground on the off side) on the rope (doesn't distort the saddle or put undue pressure on them).

It seems to give you balance when you push forward in the stirrup, which happens naturally with big horses (and shorties like us!). Rather than pushing and pulling from uneven points (girth and cantle), if your action is concentrated between the wither and the girth, it is easier to get momentum.

I found this helps, although I only use it when I really have to.

Good luck

Ideas for Riding with English Saddle ?

Hello Desiree,

Looks like "Murphy's Law" (sometimes called "Sod's Law") has struck again. Its always the tallest horses that won't stand still to be mounted, especially when the rider is not over endowed in the height department. I can sympathise as am about the same height as you.

I assume from your location that you're riding with a Australian or western style of saddle. Excuse my ignorance, I don't know anything about these.

Would these sort of ideas (presumably modified to suit the different tack) work with an English saddle ? Obviously this would only be used as a last resort - finding a mounting block or getting a leg up would be preferable for both horse and rider.

Tack used

I ride in a Wintec500 All Purpose saddle, which I assume are like saddles used over there...

(have a look at their website for a detailed look - www.wintec.net.au/index.html . Follow the link on the left to 'Wintec Saddles', then 'Wintec 500 AP under 'All Purpose saddles' from the menu on the right)

In fact the only person I know with a Western style saddle is my friend from back home... everyone else rides in a stock saddle, or more frequently, English saddles of different varieties...

As far as I'm aware, all saddles have breast plate connectors ( the D-rings under the stirrup strap flaps) to which any lead rope clip can be attached...

lol!!

I've just had my first proper lesson last Monday on 'Bridie' who I've been on before on a couple of hacks prior to booking lessons. I knew she was a big horse, but after the lesson I discovered that she is 17'2! I would wonder what all the fuss is about, but then I'd have to take into account that I'm over 6ft'1 so I have a slight advantage over most people here! :D

Bridie is the biggest horse they've got at the stables and about the only one they initially thought would suit my size. But she's as stubborn as a mule and has one hell of a bouncy trot (so they tell me) compared to the others - some would say this probably wasn't the best horse to start learning with, but hey! what do I know! :D

Anyway, they're going to try a different, slightly smaller horse with me next week which apparently has a much smoother ride. It's a shame really as I got quite attached and thought that myself and Bridie had a lot in common. I'm sure we'd have gotten on great (eventually! :p )

Well finally got to ride Mede today (well yesterday now I s'pose). I'm suprised as to how different she is to Bridie in the way she walks - definetly a smoother ride. Apparently I came on leaps and bounds from last week :) , this of course I put down to a change of horse.

Mede is 16 something tall and noticeably smaller than Bridie both in mounting and when riding. The dismount was very easy this time around - almost seemed too close to the ground, but still I s'pose not every horse needs to be of Godzilla dimensions. :)

Dice,

16hh+ seeems almost too near the ground ?? Must be great to be 6ft tall. LOL !! Mede would be a struggle, probably need a leg up or mounting block . But as for Bridie - I'd be hiring one of those crane trucks to get me up there, and a parachute to dismount.

that reminds me i went to try out a horse which was 17.1 hh and i got on from the floor i am shocked i managed it i am 5 ft 8 but still!!! mines 16hh which is still a stretch but i do like big horses, 15.2 my favourite height just nice :D
a hack on a 16.3 was murder, i dropped my whip, got off, tried to get back on he wouldn't let me easily he backed up walked forwards threw his head arounds turned in circles, i had to let the reins go pretty lose as i couldn't do everything at once!!!!

The first time I mounted Bridie I did it without a mounting block no bother (and LOL in jeans! :D and no, they didn't split! :p ). I've used a mounting block the other times, no doubt to keep the strain to a minimum for the horses as it didn't bother me.

Lightfoot - I s'pose you do get a great view from up there! :D

Lamprellsarah - Bridie was a bit like that too, but then I had help with controlling her whilst I mounted!

umm im not sure bout u but i would much rather have the problem of having truoble of gettin on him instead of coming off!!!!:pjus lenthen your stirrups to get on him.we have a 17 hh thoroughbred and i am the only one at my barn hu can even get on her with out lengthenin the stirrups.just put ur stirrups down a couple of holes and make sure ur girth is tight and it will become alot easier.

good luck and with practice you will be able to open the gates without even getting off.i know im still tryin 2 get there though:p

~Holly~

lamprellsarah, I am 5ft 6-7 (cant quite remember!) and I also can get on a 17hh without shortening the stirrups, I found that out the other Saturday! I used to have trouble getting on a wee 15.2hh, but I was like 'OMG!! arghhhh I actually got on this horse! The other Saturday. I was rather pleased!:D :D Grinning like that I think!

But when You're 5ft 2 .............

Lamprellsarah & Elfin,

"only" 5ft 8 or 5ft 6 ? Some folk would consider that to be tall. There's a girl at college who has owned a 16.3 for over 2 years and still she can't mount with stirrups at her correct riding length. Has to drop the stirrup about 4 holes and its still not easy for her, but if they were any lower would not be able to get her leg over the saddle. However, she is onbly 5ft 2 so .........

lamprellsarah, thats exactly the same as me. I don't see myself as tall because most of my friends are of the same height or taller!

Sorry for offending any of you.

newrider.com