1st attempt at practising my dressage test,..we've had better days!

Jan 10, 2003
Isle of Man
Down to the indoor for a lesson tonight, armed with my dressage test and diagram, Stella helped us practise a few things! Good job that the test isn't until a week on Sunday as I feel as if I have a lot of work to do ...either that or i'll put it down to a 'bad' day! I just couldn't get her straight, and turning down the centre line in trot was like doing a handbrake turn at time, she was just rusing everywhere!

Good thing out of the lesson: I know the test, and learnt walk on a long rein, and Penny is good at the halt, so more work on that straightness in trot, and turning down the centre line in trot....ho hum!:rolleyes:

Dressage

What type of horse are you doing your test on?

I've been doing Preliminary Dressage tests on a 15.1hh Cob who has only been ridden for two years.
His best result was third which was against over 10 horses i think and the two that came first/second are professionals who were 'warming up' for novice tests

I've got our last Prelim seven test on me and he got 56.5% (3rd place)

And although we got some scores such as 7's out of 10, we also got a 4 in some places cus he broke canter too early and had an incorrect strke off one one canter!

He has a tendancy to rush in canter when schooling but when we got in the ring i had to ride with a stick just in case cus he was soo lazy!

Wow that is good for your first few dressage tests! I'd love to get those sort of results, fingers crossed that Penny and I do well on Sunday!

I am riding my horse Penny, who is a 15.1hh chunky traditional coloured cobs, so I'm sure we'll get heads turning at the dressage test, not your 'normal' dressage lookers!

I am going to be having another schooling session tonight, and try out some of the moves again, lets just hope she has got that handbrake turn out of her system!;)

This may sound stupid and make no sense but ask most good dressage riders and they will tell you the same thing.

Don't ride the test at home...if you must... do it very occasionally. The horse starts to learn movements and anticiaptes them, hense dropping onto the inside shoulder on corners and flexing the wrong way.
Instead practice riding the movements out of sequence and not in the same place all the time.

On corners can you make it so that if you wish you could actually ride out of the arena rather than following the boards? This stops the horse anticipating the corner and bending too early.

It sounds ridiculous but try it and see how yourhorse has to start thinking more and listening to your aids.

On turning up to the centre line, half halt to collect your horse and prepare her, keep a good contact with the outside rein to control the bend and speed, use the inside rein to ask for bend. remember to use the inside leg to ask her to bend her frame around it and your outside leg to stop the quarters drifiting out.

Look in the direction your going, don't drop your shoulders (this makes you and your horse motorbike round) or your hands. Instead turn your shoulders so that they stay parallel to the horses shoulders. Pracice of this wil help your horse to understand what is required and a better turn up the CL will develop.

Cheers

Cobs Rule!

Your riding a traditional cob like the cob i ride then! That cool cus people think warmbloods can only do well in tests but i know that Teddy who i rode for my tests - did better than a lot of warmblood types!

The dressage events that i enter him in are held at the college in the indoor arena where he is ridden everyday. So he knew where he could cut corners and anticipate movements like he did on the days we rode - but like i always say he did beter than 7 of the 10 horses who entered lol!

I don actually own Teddy, i own a 16.2 Sports Horse mare who i've only had a couple of months, but until i school her more she will not be doing any dressage tests just yet! Soon hopefully though because Teddy has a poor foot bless him and i can only hope he will be better by october cus i plan to enter him in some more(alongside my mare of course)

Thanks ALF!

I haven't been riding the whole tests, as I knew like you said that if I do, she will anticipate the movements!

I have worked on turning up the centre line, and she is so much better! I think that she was just having a nappy day in the school last week!

I have always been taught to turn my shoulders, and look up, as this would help my weight aids to turn so I think I am back on track!

Thanks for the help great tips!

Test is on Sunday...so I'll let you all know how it goes!

when schooling my chap one day he did everything he wanted and nothing that I was asking, he tensed like steel shanks had been inserted in his neck, locked his jaw and totally resisted.

He would either try to rush and when Iwouldn't let him he threw his head in the air sticking his nose out as far as he could. Then he would hollow and take diddy little tense strides and refused to lengthen and seek the contact.

In the end I took him out as I was wasting my time.

The next day I took more time to relax him and ended up a having a brilliant session. I also know if he agitates me he picks up on it and gets more agitated himself. Vicious circle... I need to calm down take deep breaths and start agin...

Bl**dy hard work at times.

Lets know how you get on as I am a dressage Judge (well take my test next month to be listed)

The best thing I have picked up from doing a dressage course I am on at the moment is the necessity to prepare for your transitions. I used to be so hung up on making the transaction at the precise marker that I just used to spring and change of directions etc upon him and as a result mine rushed everywhere too simply because he was never sure what was coming next. I dont know whether it will work for you but try to prepare alot earlier than you think you will need to and see if that helps.

ALF - Positive Mental Attitude! You can do it! That is what I am thinking for my test on Sunday!

DITZ - That is exactly what I was doing last night! You must have been watching!;) I was completing components of the test, and as I now know the test route inside out, I can plan ahead and get both myself and Penny ready for a change, transition, turn etc! Thanks for the tip, any more, feel free to wing them my way! Very interested!:D

Your welcome. Heres another couple of learned cheats... just before a transition overbend the head as all horses will have a tendency to raise their heads regardless.

Also dont go too deep into the corners and concentrate on making it a smooth flowing test rather than worry too much about the preciseness of movements (well at my level anyway!!).

Free walk use the 'unseen' leg and hand to give aids.

concentrate on making it a smooth flowing test rather than worry too much about the preciseness of movements

Hate to tell you this but in any level marks are often lost because not enough care is taking into riding to the markers and cuting corners. Yes ride a nice smooth test but make full use of the arena space.
At the same time don't go deep into the corners as this causes the horse to over bend and drop through the inside shoulder as they struggle to get round.

Don't over bend the horse into the corner as you wil be marked down for this, the horse should be already prepared for the corner a few strides before it anyways. Just make sure you prepare inadvance, keep a steady but firm contact and don't look for perfection. (this will make you tense and make your horse tense) In prelim the horse is not expected to be fully on the bit but should be still excepting the contact and show no resistance, but at the same time the horse should not stick his/her head up too high.
If your horse comes into a nice outline then that is great just don't ask to much too soon.
In prelim classes the Judge is onlylooking for Rhythm, suppleness and contact.

Rhythm should be equall to all footfalls not becoming irregular or unbalanced within the correct paces.

The horse should be supple, bending softly to the aids showing no tension and able to carry out the movements.

Contact should be accepting not resisting.

The Rhythm, Suppleness and Contact all work together and you need all three to get the right requirements from the horse to ride a good test.

Cheers

Thanks ALF - Like you have just said My instructor told me that the judges will be looking for Rhythm, Suppleness and Contact. At at the mo Penny isn't fully on the bit...we have some way to go before I get to that stage! I have concentrated on getting my rhythm right, and now the suppleness has come with fitness and schooling. Penny does ride on a contact, and she holds a nice outline for a whort while, but due to her novice stage, she looses it briefly and we get back into it. I always have a nice contact with her! (I hope that I am doing the right thing here!)

I was also told that you should make sure that you use all the arena, and not cut corners like you say, although I am not going to be obsessive about it - just going to make sure that I use the space effectively.

You guys have been really helpful in making sure I am on the right track...thank you:D

Hi MP

From your thread it sounds like you are working your horse very well. You say your horse comes off the bit now and then and this is perfectly normal for this level and you should not be penalised for it in early prelim classes especially prelim 7 and 10.

I have only been Judging for two years and take my test to be listed very soon, (hopefully I pass) I have seen some horsse come into the arena star watching and taking corners like motorbikes with their own rhythm and suppleness got left behind with the contact.

Yet others come in looking like they should be in Novice classes, the difference is huge.

You sound like you have a cracking instrctor who is guiding you well and getting good results.

Have you any pics?

ALF

Hate to tell you this but in any level marks are often lost because not enough care is taking into riding to the markers and cuting corners.

Sorry perhaps I should expand a bit. I used to take the diagrams on test a little too literally and for example when tracking left at C or something I would try and do a square turn into the corner and make my horse tense instead of making the turn a bend and therefore smoother.

MP I once read a thread on here about using different songs in your head for the different paces but I cant remember what they were. It does help to 'count' the footfalls in your head though as you can instantly spot when you are losing rythmn then.

ALF - I am really pleased with my instructor, as she talks sense! It makes such a difference to have one that you get on with and trust!

It will be interesting to see how we actually do at the 'test' as Penny gets quite excited at shows etc, and it is hard to keep her concentration! But I suppose the more we do it, the better she will be, so think that it will be even harder than usual to keep her 'on the bit' as she'll want to get that head up gawping all around!

I haven't got any pics yet...the indoors can be very dark, so always get crap piccys from that..but I am having an indoor lesson tomorrow night and I'll see if anyone is coming to take a piccy or two. I will have someone on Sunday when I do the test, and so I will DEFINATELY have piccys from that!;)

Ditz - Once again you are reading my mind, I started by talking the beat of the foofalls to keep the rhythm, but I now just 'think' them as I doubt it would go down well chatting away in a dressage test!

At the same time don't go deep into the corners as this causes the horse to over bend and drop through the inside shoulder as they struggle to get round.

My reply (quoted above) explains the quote below.

Sorry perhaps I should expand a bit. I used to take the diagrams on test a little too literally and for example when tracking left at C or something I would try and do a square turn into the corner and make my horse tense instead of making the turn a bend and therefore smoother.

Some people get so focused on riding into the corner that they go to deep and you get a rather jerky tense movement and at the same time the horse collapses and does not look relaxed and supple at all.

You need to be looking for a nice bend through your horses frame rather than just through the neck.

I think Ditz meant you to sing them in your head not out loud :D

As your horse tends to get excited at shows, I would imagine your intstructor has told you to allow as much time as possile to warm up and allow your horse to take everything in and relax.

I have seen me take anything from 30mins to 1 1/2hrs to get my horse settled and working in. The golden rule of thumb "So to speak" is whatever time it takes to ride in at home double that at shows.

Also have you tried Rescue Remedy? It is a Bach remedy and is 100% safe and legal to use. As it is herbal it is not classed as an illegal drug in competition. It also has no side effects.

Though it is sold for us to use it is fine to give to horses. It helps calm a horse without effecting the performance, it is available form any good pharmacy for around £3 for a small bottle.

Also may help your nerves as well, as you wil get nervous as you start your test and your horse will pick up on that and beocme more nervous. We just can't control those pesky butterflies

:D :D

Lets know how you do on Sunday.

ALF

newrider.com