2 years ago today :)

Barney9

Aug 18, 2009
2 years ago i sold my lovely little 13.2hh pony!
when i got him, he was scared of jummping, scared of me/ everyone, scared of tack..well just scared tbh! but he had a nice character- thats why we bought him...also the fact that every other "perfect" pony we saw i found a fault with..but not with toffee!
He came home, and i spent about 2 weeks trying to catch him.. i think i can now safely say i am a cathching mistress! Once caught, i started to try and ride him etc...bearing in mind i was 10 , it was bl00dy hard! I spent so much time in his field he started to trust me and i finalyl got to ride him....That summer i took him to PC camp- i was meant to be going on my previous pony who had suddenly died at a PC rally...so i took Toffee. We couldnt turn him out as we thought we might not catch him! I think tbh it was the worst camp for me ever- but i loved it! LOL. i spent most of the time on the floor (falling off!) as he had a nasty run out. He had been kicked and yanked and slapped all the time so was just confused! i would gallop at a fence and then suddenly he slam on the brakes...After about 1 1/2 we got him realyl going. I taught him polo and took him hunting- and OMG that changed him! Suddenly it was like he had never been scared of jumping! he jumped anything out hunting. went all day, was the perfect hunting pony. He won every polo prize there was going and the proper polo ponies could not beat his quick little turns :) I never did the whole eventing thing with him but i did plenty of hunter trials, won most of them- did the occasionaly SJing comp. and didnt do badly for a pony who had been terrified of coloured poles when i got him!
When i got to 13, i was just ridiculously big on him! i had by that stage got my 15.3hh but he was never left out! I decided to put him up for sale at the end of the summer as i wanted to play polo on him etc. that summer...we had plenty of people come and look at hime, but either i didnt like the riders or they didnt suit him...3 people offered to buy him- 1 took him for a weekend, and they said he wouldnt jump, i went to try and get him to jump and he wouldnt jump anything- that set things back a bit. we took him hoem and i had to get his confidence up again! we then had 2 more offers, one dad said no to as he didnt think they were suitable- they werent! and the other person he failed the vet with a slight respiratory thing! thank god he did though! I saw a wanted ad. on the PC website, so i replied. They came to see him- all 4 kids, the mum and the dad (who is a professional dealer, dealing with advanced eventers etc.) They made an offer that day- yes a professional dealer bought a little hunting pony that didnt enjoy his dressage!
the day when he went into the trailer i thought was the worst day of my life, but it was one of the best! i get regular updates from his new family, hes close by- i see him all the time at events- team chases and hunter trials. he goes to camp, he plays polo and he hunts- everything i could have wanted for him!
I know for sure that he is loved. They have 3 more kids still to ride him. The mum hunts him, he even took the 4 y/o for his first days hunting! hes their most bomb proof pony and he is so so loved. They throw money and love and i know hes happy :) He won the 2.9ft school showjumping and still wins every polo prize going :)
The funny thing is, their friends came to see him but decided he was too strong...they regret that day so much as they have now bought a pony that bucks! :D
I loev him so so much, and yes i miss him, but i know he is in the best home i could have dreamed for...
Thank you Toffee for giving me 4 years of blood,sweat, tears and laughter...and it really was all of that! I fractured my back with you toffee and you didnt leave me even thoguh you were scared and in pain...and i will never forget that day when you put your foot in a hole..you were amazing...
I hope he has an amazing life and it just shows, the scared ponies can turn out to be truely amazing ponies and if you just gain their trust and love them a lot...you'll have an amazing time!

newrider.com