2017 Hacking/ Riding Challenge.... Add your photos too

@GaryB sounds like you and Harvey and really starting to gel. He did very well on the new hack by the sounds of it. The pink bra made me chuckle too.

@CharliesAngel Brook is such a pretty girl and a very good girl for her years...if all else fails with my boy I usually shout his name too and it brings him back to me..well so far it has lol

Me and the pony have fallen out. He tried to drag me through the school gate back to the yard tonight. Needless to say we had strong words. Such a shame as the schooling session was fab and then he ruined it by being a bolshy so and so.

We are having a lesson on Wed to go over what behaviour is ok and what is not ok..... like pulling me all over!

@SeeingSpots , Rusty and I had an argument today too. I know you will keep working with Toffee and he will come through it. It's worth the effort. I think they just have to make us prove our worthiness to be the boss sometimes.

I seriously planned to ride Rusty today. I even had my saddle out there, riding clothes on, helmet ready. The whole deal. I hadn't worked with him in several days but he'd been going well. You probably guessed it. He was a little monster. I worked with him inhand for 45 mins so I could end on a good note. I was disappointed not to ride, but with all the ice and slick spots around I didn't feel safe getting on when he was so ready for a fight.

I blame myself. He is teaching me I have to work with him more consistently. Tomorrow even if it rains we are going to so some inhand work. If I can get out there with him before the expected rains come I may get to ride. IF Pony-gedan and I are on the same page about who is... and who is not in charge. Today I told him that I was going to get a nice, sweet Tennessee Walking Horse instead of a crazy pony. I may get that Tennessee Walking Horse someday but I could never give up my crazy pony. I love his orneriness, courage, toughness and strong will. Part of me even admires it. When I get him back on my side, like he was last summer, he is brilliant.

We ended our session with me being the herd leader so I was satisfied with that for today. I think tomorrow will be better.
Inhand: 2 hrs 15 mins
Ridden: still only 10 mins :rolleyes:

@SeeingSpots , Rusty and I had an argument today too. I know you will keep working with Toffee and he will come through it. It's worth the effort. I think they just have to make us prove our worthiness to be the boss sometimes.

I seriously planned to ride Rusty today. I even had my saddle out there, riding clothes on, helmet ready. The whole deal. I hadn't worked with him in several days but he'd been going well. You probably guessed it. He was a little monster. I worked with him inhand for 45 mins so I could end on a good note. I was disappointed not to ride, but with all the ice and slick spots around I didn't feel safe getting on when he was so ready for a fight.

I blame myself. He is teaching me I have to work with him more consistently. Tomorrow even if it rains we are going to so some inhand work. If I can get out there with him before the expected rains come I may get to ride. IF Pony-gedan and I are on the same page about who is... and who is not in charge. Today I told him that I was going to get a nice, sweet Tennessee Walking Horse instead of a crazy pony. I may get that Tennessee Walking Horse someday but I could never give up my crazy pony. I love his orneriness, courage, toughness and strong will. Part of me even admires it. When I get him back on my side, like he was last summer, he is brilliant.

We ended our session with me being the herd leader so I was satisfied with that for today. I think tomorrow will be better.
Inhand: 2 hrs 15 mins
Ridden: still only 10 mins :rolleyes:

Well done for ending on a good note and honestly don't blame yourself. They are sent to test us and we do our best. Toffee drives me up the wall with his attitude and dominance but would I have him any other way? Nope. Because I believe naughty ponies teach us the most. It's always the way when you plan to ride isn't it? It's like they do it on purpose haha Stay positive. :) xxx

Well here I am!! Late to the party but !! - whooohoo! Brook is back in work!! After 2 months off she came into today as sweet as anything and off we went for a hack. We were out for about 30mins and I do have to remind myself she is a rising 5 year old, green youngster that hasn’t been ridden in ages and here she was out on her own and being a wee star. We had a couple of moments but nothing awful and she seemed pleased to be doing something. The most notable moment was when we cut back along the edge of the woods, almost home and i had a loose rein. A pidgeon flapped up behind us in the trees and she did that 0-50mph, bum tucked under and tank thing. I was caught off guard and my weight got thrown back a bit and I actually counted the gallop strides while I had her full weight into the bridle and I was pulling to stop.. 1... 2.... 3.... 4... at the moment I did think oh gee here we go, she’s getting away from me so here comes the bronc , the handbrake turn or whatever else she might do that will ditch me, however I shouted at her Brook Whooooah and she stopped!! Love my little lass :) Now here is hoping I can actually keep in her work & nothing happens child wise/weather wise/anything else wise to scupper my plans!!

brookjan3_zpsx2bqfodz.jpg

brookjan2_zpscxxlltpd.jpg

brookjan_zps5qwgk9of.jpg
Love your Highland she is beautiful :)

Well we were supposed to go on a hack down the main road past the farm to meet up with friends...but I bottled it... I saw all the lorries going past and that was it tacked up got to the outside of the gate and couldn't go any further...so rode in my paddocks for an hour instead :( but at least I rode

Played with Glennie doing some join up in our make shift round pen then worked on her feet a little ...shes not keen at all to pick up her feet.

We have bad weather on the way, gales tonight and tomorrow:( and then Thursday and Friday we are supposed to be getting snow :rolleyes: We got out for a lovely hack today, it was very dull and I was glad we had our hi viz on. My video is longer than usual (its for something else I am doing) so I don't blame anyone for not watching it and if you do watch it to then end you deserve a glass of virtual vino from me and you will also get to see my lovely Kylie ;)

Total ridden 3 hrs

@nativelover, thank you :D I know what you mean about roads.. i would have access to so much more hacking if I could just be brave enough to either go through the village with her - which is all of 1/2 mile away or the other direction I can go on a 1/2 mile stretch of road and then end up on lovely tracks. They are both fairly quiet but there are big tractors and trailers and lorries that go along them as well and Im just not brave enough. I was thinking of taking Brook inhand on the latter route though and see how we go.

Reactions: Native Lover
newrider.com