2018 Hacking/Riding challenge........ Add your photos and join in open to anyone.

Mad weekend for me. 5 rides in 2 days!

Saturday my boy and my sisters big horse for the saddle fitter. Both saddles sorted. Horrah!

Sunday my sister asked me to ride her horse again, so short hack on my boy, schooled hers, then went to pick up a pad from saddle fitter and schooled/jumped her horse as well. Did the driving to an hour long jump clinic (very good to watch!) in the middle! Feeling all the riding a little bit today!

Total:
Time in saddle not hacking: 11hrs 45 mins
Hacking : 19 miles, 4 hrs 40 mins

Sonny unmounted 17.25 hrs.
Footing had firmed up a bit.

Did play in cav pen then up In the big rd pen.

Wind really started to pick up more but
NO snow yet.

It's that cold ugh damp ugh
That goes right thru YOU :(:mad:

On a good note the storm may be trending a little further out to sea. ;) So a little
Less sniw:D;)

Reactions: Trewsers and GaryB
Lovely, lovely schooling session tonight. One of those ones where everything just works. Saddle refit clearly a good thing, very happy boy indeed, canter more balanced, transitions sharper, latteral work good.

Only thing rubbish is the state of the field after all the rain we have had the last few weeks the gateway is just grim...check out the 3 tone legs!

Evenings arw slowly getting lighter. Feeling rather school bound atm...want to get out hacking!!

Total:
Time in saddle not hacking: 12hrs 30 mins
Hacking : 19 miles, 4 hrs 40 mins

27624653_10155051554820894_128886446984658361_o.jpg

7 mile hack today :) :) two very well behaved cobs, unlike yesterdays exciteable antics lol. Think they enjoyed as much as we did, change of scenary

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    656.2 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    954.2 KB · Views: 2
Mr T had twenty mins pootling today. Very pleased but envious - I couldn't hop on as my back is still way too sore and I can't risk it. Zi's halo had slipped slightly as he tried to nip Chloe:eek:but he more than made up for it with being so good to ride.:D

Sonny unmounted 20.00 hrs.

Played a bit over the last few days.
Pristine snowy areas are ok ice is horrible where a vehicle has driven.

Played very early this am and ice is still very nasty.
We are going to warm up a bit and get rain later.

Have not tried to come over here the last few plays with icy road and drives.

We are due 2 inches of rain starting late this afternoon hopefully it will wash away
the snow and ice.

I may try for another play today and come here if the rain holds out and I can safely come across to here.

Reactions: Trewsers and GaryB
Well, we've had quite an exciting week as we moved yards today. A 3 mile hack in the sleet & snow was not quite what I had planned!

I've updated our total's for the end of the week:

2018's running total:

•Hacking: 25 miles

• Schooling: 7 hours, 30 minutes

• Groundwork: 2 hours 30 minutes

Crikey, I've not updated this for a few weeks!

We've had 3 hours worth of flat lessons, a 45 minute polework clinic & a jumping session. We've hacked an extra 12 miles and I think done another 2 hours groundwork.

2018 totals so far are:

Hacking: 37 miles
Schooling: 11 hours 15 minutes
Groundwork: 4 hours 30

It was so, so cold this today but managed a 3 mile hill work hack.

Here's a few snaps of our last few weeks:

zzo3AXL.jpg

This little guy has struggled with flat work for so long - it's *finally* beginning to come together.

FeQCADv.jpg

QmtI6lw.jpg

Another quiet potter for Mr T and the Zi yesterday. The sun was lovely and I enjoyed walking besides them. Just half an hour but lovely all the same. Though we are both thinking that maybe his boots are beginning to be out grown already - will get the farriers opinion in the next few weeks.

Sonny unmounted 20.50 hrs.

Ugh winter please go away.
Just went over to play it was spitting snow but THANK GOD
I did not try to come here.

The spitting quickly got heavier but the footing was good
in that open area.
We had some decent play before it started to stick too much on the ground and I wanted him to have a little grass while there was clear ground.
I missed getting the ducks flying right above his back going to the clear area on the pond.
Ugh did not think about snow covering the ground masking the ice-- that was not a smart move.
It was difficult to get him back to his stall and then for me to get back to his truck it was really really nasty.
Thank god I had not brought him here to have to get him back down that driveway.

IMG_7201.JPG

IMG_7241.JPG
IMG_7279.JPG
a little or a lot once its covering the ground and masking all the ice the damage is DONE.
If I had not had my stick and string with me I probably would have been crawling on my hands and knees.
I felt like "Hillary" picking my way up Mt Everest.
IMG_7301.JPG
But we played so I'm happy for that. and Neither of us
had a fall.

Sonny unmounted 20.75 hrs.

I was not going to make the same mistake as yesterday and it was the right call.
Yesterdays snow had evaporated somewhat but nasty nasty weather with heavy snow to ice to rain was due early on.
I went over very carefully to the open area - the ice is still really bad and unless we get LOTS of rain and it warms to wash some ice away and all the snow from today its really going to be awful.
We had good play in the open area it was a bit grassy and no ice.
Then I just let him loose to get a bit of grass there.
The cold today was a real go right thru you.
We picked our way back to his stall and again my stick and string did really help me get back to
my truck.
I was not long back before the first flakes fell and it got really heavy really quick and is still snowing
heavy.
I hope it does a change over before the point of no return with rain washing anything away.
Too much snow first and it will be a horrible slush that will freeze hard again.
One can only wait and hope .
I'm REALLY wanting spring!!

At least we did not get a tsunami --:rolleyes:
Another big foul up of emergency reporting systems and some places many many miles inland no where near the ocean got a tsunami warning.:confused::confused::confused:
There was not even a real warning for any coastal areas.
The incoming missle warning that Hawaii got a few weeks ago that was also bogus must have been truly terrifying.

With luck and a prayer maybe tomorrow we will have clear ground!!!

Sonny unmounted 21.00 hours.

OMG what an Icy mess the last storm caused.

Went over this am and ice is still so bad the only place I could get Sonny was a bit of non icy gravely area of the driveway between his stall and her house.
We only did a little bit cause he does not like the gravely footing.
We are warming today with heavy flooding rain tonite thru TOMORROW snd into
Monday am do HOPEFULLY this time the ice will go.

Everyone is in the same boat being totally iced up.

Pete's Mum..
I'll take your -1c to our -1f anytime :p

Reactions: GaryB and Trewsers
Sonny unmounted 21.75 hours.

Who Hoo some melting yesterday.;):):D
Came home from running errands and things were melting:) and draining off;););).

Brought Sonny over here for play. :):)
HE GOT a bit silly in the little cavaletti round pen and made some divits off the wood chip path but oh well.:confused:
We finally got back over here and got some good play.
That pen will have to in some ways be the sacrifice pen for play in winter. If the bit of grass in there gets chopped up
so be it. Its a shared area with the 2 full size goats and they don't care about frozen divits.
By dark a lot of ice had melted and run off and being we were in low 40's f overinite with rain I really hope when its light out there is NO ice to be seen.
No play today since its gonna rain hard all day but there wont be a flash freeze tonite and sunny and decent tomorrow
should be good for more play!!;)
The best thing I did this fall was put the wood chip inside perimeter on this little round pen.;)
IMG_7351.JPG
its going to be a bigger job doin I on one of the bigger round pens on the hill but it will really be worth it there too.

He got some nibbles in the yard after but I had to be careful since it got really soft quickly yesterday. Id like to not make a mess of the yard.
IMG_7355.JPG

I think the whole week is going to be semi decent and not too cold.:D;):)

Reactions: GaryB and Prjsmk
15 mins free schooling, ten min walk round to cool him off. The weather couldnt make its mind up! Sunny, then spitting with rain, then stopped and was sunny again! So didnt chance a ride. Managed to give the cob a panper though, he seemed very happy to be someones horse again today lol! Its been raining constant here last few days and ive got a chest infection so ive only been to feed and check hes ok

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    738.3 KB · Views: 2
newrider.com